SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

8.8 or 11mm ep in F5 dob

blinky

I've secured an 18mm Nagler (very excited, never owned anything green before!) and am now looking at something a bit higher powered, I suppose for the likes of m27, Jupiter and the moon....  the scope is the skywatcher 300 go to dob and I'm looking at the explore scientific 82degree eyepieces, they seem great value, so what one? The 8.8 or 11mm...... when I stick it in one of the eyepiece for simulators there is not a lot in it, I'm thinking the 11 might get more use?

I've never heard of an 18mm Nagler :icon_scratch:

There is certainly a 17mm though - is that the one you are getting ?

M27 is quite large so the 17mm (if thats what you have) will do fine for that object.

For the Moon and Jupiter I'd go for the 8.8mm I think.

Your scope will probably do well with a 6mm as well  but you might want to pace your purchases !

The 11mm would be usable more often and at 140x would not stretch your dob. Not sure how well they Barlow but if you had a 2x maybe screwing the element into the eyepiece for 1.5x giving 7.3mm might be useful. Eventually both would be good I think.

6 hours ago, John said:

I've never heard of an 18mm Nagler :icon_scratch:

There is certainly a 17mm though - is that the one you are getting ?

M27 is quite large so the 17mm (if thats what you have) will do fine for that object.

For the Moon and Jupiter I'd go for the 8.8mm I think.

Your scope will probably do well with a 6mm as well  but you might want to pace your purchases !

Sorry 17mm v4

Can't decide whether to go for one of these for higher power views, or stick with the x-cel 68 degrees, I have the 9 and 12 and go for the 28mm nirvana. The lowest ep I have is 25mm nirvana as that will give me views a lot wider than I have - should be able to fit the Pleiades etc in that for....

im so indecisive! This morning I'm back to the nirvana, and get a higher power eyepiece later in the year.

57 minutes ago, blinky said:

Can't decide whether to go for one of these for higher power views, or stick with the x-cel 68 degrees, I have the 9 and 12 and go for the 28mm nirvana. The lowest ep I have is 25mm nirvana as that will give me views a lot wider than I have - should be able to fit the Pleiades etc in that for....

im so indecisive! This morning I'm back to the nirvana, and get a higher power eyepiece later in the year.

The 28mm Nirvana gives a true 1.53 degree field of view. I believe the Pleiades need 1.7 or 2 degrees to fit it all in. You will get most of it in the FoV though.

11 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

My view on ultrawide true fields is buy a scope with a shorter focal length rather than an expensive eyepiece - it's often cheaper!

I'd agree with this. With a 30mm Explore Scientific 82° I can get most of the Pleiades in the field of view through my 1600mm focal length dob, but it is a much nicer view through a scope at 1200mm focal length with the same eyepiece so I can see it all with some empty space round it. That said, even a 2" eyepiece takes up less storage room than another scope

55 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

My view on ultrawide true fields is buy a scope with a shorter focal length rather than an expensive eyepiece - it's often cheaper!

Wonder if I can piggyback my ed70 on the dob!

Archived