SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mounting a finder scope/autoguider on a DSLR camera

Anyone have experience mounting a finder scope/autoguider (Orion Deluxe Mini 50mm Guide Scope) onto the hotshoe plate on the top of a DSLR camera? The finder scope has a 1 1/4" dovetail base (shoe) and also a adapter plate but I need something with a hotshoe fitting on one side and a plate or a dovetail female on the other.

Thanks, Lloyd

I don't know of one that has the proper dovetail, but if you can't find one you could try making one.

With this adapter in the link, a 1/4"-20 tap and a old piece of dovetail and your all set. That is basically all they do for the "cold shoe" extensions, except they obviously use a different extrusion.

If your dovetail is thin enough, maybe you could just drill a hole and put a nut on there.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/860269-REG/Revo_sa_cs_14m_Hot_Shoe_to_1_4.html

I would advise against doing this. The weight involved will be too much for the hot shoe. I looked into this and decided that the best way was to mount the DSLR on top of a small scope which also carried the guide scope.

Peter

Archived