Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Apologies for the weather!

My Skyliner 200p Dobsonian was delivered today so I must apologise for the bad weather over the coming week!

I have had one of these dobs before, but sold it last year because I have a long term illness and thought my days of stargazing was over. I spent all of Xmas and New Years Eve in hospital with a severe chest infection. After coming home at the beginning of January I decided to the hell with my illness and repurchase a scope for the end of February.

I also used Stargazers Lounge to find tips and advice on owning a 200p and that was invaluable, and I learnt a lot about using the scope, that I previously didn't know. It appears that a majority on here suggest using the scope straight  out of the box for the moment and then invest in eyepieces, barlows ,etc at a later date, is the best way. This I will do. Previously I had brought eyepieces and was not happy with the results, so I am going to walk this time and not run! BST 8mm and 25mm  eyepieces will be my first purchases.

I am a visual observer and am looking forward to sketching the moon and planets. I will post my observations in the appropriate forum, when the skies eventually clear. I am still recovering  from my infection but am feeling much better. My passion for astronomy which as waned over the last year or so due to my illness is rekindled and am looking forward to "first light" with my scope and a renewed interest in my hobby. :smile:

No worries. I love watching torrential rain. Nearly drowned today just getting to the car. Enjoy the scope. You deserve it after spending Christmas and New Year in hospital. Nothing better than a bit of retail therapy after a bout of illness.

52 minutes ago, colin2007 said:

My Skyliner 200p Dobsonian was delivered today so I must apologise for the bad weather over the coming week!

I have had one of these dobs before, but sold it last year because I have a long term illness and thought my days of stargazing was over. I spent all of Xmas and New Years Eve in hospital with a severe chest infection. After coming home at the beginning of January I decided to the hell with my illness and repurchase a scope for the end of February.

I also used Stargazers Lounge to find tips and advice on owning a 200p and that was invaluable, and I learnt a lot about using the scope, that I previously didn't know. It appears that a majority on here suggest using the scope straight  out of the box for the moment and then invest in eyepieces, barlows ,etc at a later date, is the best way. This I will do. Previously I had brought eyepieces and was not happy with the results, so I am going to walk this time and not run! BST 8mm and 25mm  eyepieces will be my first purchases.

I am a visual observer and am looking forward to sketching the moon and planets. I will post my observations in the appropriate forum, when the skies eventually clear. I am still recovering  from my infection but am feeling much better. My passion for astronomy which as waned over the last year or so due to my illness is rekindled and am looking forward to "first light" with my scope and a renewed interest in my hobby. :smile:

NP - I got a couple of hours in on Wed night, so, that's my quota of next next 2 months.

Enjoy the toy when it clears.

7 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Toy?. No,No......a telescope is a serious scientific instrument.

:icon_biggrin:

mmm

my view is that anything that gives satisfaction is a toy :)

1 minute ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Does this include food?.

LOL.

as someone who does the cooking (which, unfortuantely in SHMBO's eyes, takes priority over setting up on a totally clear night) - definitely.!!!!!

Must learn to over cook everything for a few months, then I might get excused this duty.

Then again, not everyone in the family can cook :)

Archived