Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron Skymaster 20 x 80 Observation Binoculars any comments

iwols

Just now, iPeace said:

Excellent. Well manageable and looks the business. Is there a particular type / bolt size (on the upper, binocular side) to specify when sourcing the L-bracket?

Standard 1/4" 20 thread UNC on top of the pistol grip that the Mount bolts to. 

Mount affixes to binoculars with a thread that I believe is common to all binoculars. Thread size uncertain. But our Swarovski Bins, Celestron and Pentax all use the same.

if you want the Binocular bracket I have a spare and will send with Thursday' "scope mule" ?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Racey said:

Standard 1/4" 20 thread UNC on top of the pistol grip that the Mount bolts to. 

Mount affixes to binoculars with a thread that I believe is common to all binoculars. Thread size uncertain. But our Swarovski Bins, Celestron and Pentax all use the same.

if you want the Binocular bracket I have a spare and will send with Thursday' "scope mule" ?

Thanks ever so much. I won't be needing a bracket for the time being, as I don't have the Pentax yet. In addition, I am considering a specific type of mounting bracket that allows for neatly attaching a red dot finder atop, which may be useful in light of the somewhat narrow field of view of the bins. Your info gives me confidence that said bracket will be suitable for these bins.

Very much appreciated!

:icon_biggrin:

On 03/04/2017 at 19:10, iPeace said:

Is there a particular type / bolt size (on the upper, binocular side) to specify when sourcing the L-bracket?

It's a standard (photographic) 1/4" Whitworth thread (called 1/4" - 20tpi across the pond, but that also includes 1/4" UNC, which is a slightly different thread). No need to specify: they all have it.

On 3/4/2017 at 19:03, Racey said:

Mike

Simple Opticron Metal Binocular Mount sourced from Amazon.

Pistol Grip also sourced from Amazon, together with a somewhat more weighty camera tripod.

Gitzo Carbon Tripod with quick levelling platform sourced from Camera Bag.

My, soon to be assembled, DIY aluminium pier extension to be included in the set up. As well as when the Mini Giro arrives.

Not shown, a climbers chalk back that is slung beneath the tripod with a 5KG or 1.9KG Counterweight in it if required.

The Pistol Grip also mounts nicely to my Carbon Gitzo Monopod when I wish to use that.

Simon

IMG_8339.JPG

IMG_8340.JPG

IMG_8341.JPG

IMG_8342.JPG

hi racey will the bracket fit the pentax to a monopod and which one is it on amazon there are a few https://www.amazon.co.uk/Opticron-Binocular-Tripod-Mount-Binoculars/dp/B005F51HE8 ,one says 50mm one 30mm one centre focus and a few more  thanks

6 hours ago, BinocularSky said:

The instructions that come with it are less than adequate, so I have written a proper manual for it: http://binocularsky.com/manuals/TG-manual.pdf

I found i needed a rubber type washer between the pistol grip and tripod as i found it kept coming loose whenever the pistol grip was twisted 

I used a circle cut from an old mouse mat which allows for a tighter fit and now it doesnt come loose on its own

17 hours ago, iwols said:

looking forward to my arrival today how does the pistol grip work racey

Sorry, missed this when answering about the bracket. Steve's instructions do the job perfectly. Think he posted a link. So all's well that ends well... :thumbsup:

Archived