Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Venus & Tiny Tiny Mars 1/3/17

mikeDnight

I tried observing Jupiter last night (28 Feb) but the seeing was as bad as bad gets.

This evening the Sun set in a blue sky and while it was still daylight, I collared a lovely view of the crescent Moon, followed by a very nice view of Venus. After I'd sketched Venus I couldn't help but turn my scope toward Mars. It was Tiny!!! However, at X170 and with a disk size that I can only explain as being about the size of a pin head, immediately albedo features jumped out. I increased the power to X370 and studied the detail carefully to make certain of the positioning.

Considering the current size of Mars and the small aperture of the scope, the detail seen is quite remarkable. 

Venus showed an unusually dark cloudtop feature close to southern cusp. I studied this for some time but it didn't waiver, and so i believe the feature was genuine. Several bright areas were detected along the terminator.

Mike ☺

2017-03-01 20.46.06.jpg

2017-03-01 21.23.58.jpg

Can you use 370x often with your FC100DC?

I feel quite limitated between 80 to 212x with my Newtonian without knowing if it's a collimation issue of the atmosphere and I wonder if it's easier to crank up the power with a quality refractor because of the more stable lens adjustments. Although, I guess a refractor could also have a bad collimation preventing high power.

I should go to a club soon to try other instruments.. but Mars at 370, must be useful.

8 hours ago, colin2007 said:

With such a tiny disc its amazing how much detail can still be seen on Mars. Is it me but does the cusps on Venus  look like they are extending further round the planets limb?

Hi Colin,

Yes, it did appear to me that the cusps were extending just beyond the meridian. Back in 2009 I observed the cusps extend well beyond the meridian, which is to be expected as the planet moves closer to the Sun and toward us.  I'm glad you noticed and didn't think it was a mistake. ?

Mike

2 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

Hi Colin,

Yes, it did appear to me that the cusps were extending just beyond the meridian. Back in 2009 I observed the cusps extend well beyond the meridian, which is to be expected as the planet moves closer to the Sun and toward us.  I'm glad you noticed and didn't think it was a mistake. ?

Mike

Hello Mike

Never doubted your sketch. Just commenting on your superb observational skills :)

I look forward to your next session with Venus

Colin

Archived