NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

AutoStakkert

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Cornelius Varley said:

The .mov converted to .avi in PIPP with no problems and I was able to stack the .avi in Autostakkert and tweaked in Registax.

moon_MVI_9989.thumb.jpg.734bf3e0da58353efdc4dc7bd4e10e7f.jpg

Thanks for that Peter, I appreciate you spending your time helping me. Could it be that my Laptop is not up to the job? It is a few years old now, that said I tried it again and as before PIPP was no problem, but this time in AutoStakkert I cut it down to use 10% of the frames and ticked the gray scale option and it worked. Is there any other settings I should be looking at? I did get a half decent image out and tried wavelets in Registax but I'm not sure what I'm doing with it. Minor tweaking in Photoshop and a bit of rotation and it doesn't look too bad. I need to find a tutorial on wavelets and one on Photoshop. Apologies, don't know how the box below got there and I can't get rid of it!

IMG_0764.PNG

34 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

The avi file was quite big (3gb) and my seven year old laptop struggled with Registax but seemed happier with autostakkert.

My laptop must be about the same age and Registax worked but AutoStakkert didn't! Strange.

Hope you dont mind but I thought I would have a go with your mov file.

This was processed in PIPP to create AVI then again in PIPP to auto centre the moon and create TIFFS , then stacked in Autostakkert and finally enhanced  in a demo version of Astra Image.

Moon.jpg

3 hours ago, wornish said:

This was processed in PIPP to create AVI then again in PIPP to auto centre the moon and create TIFFS , then stacked in Autostakkert and finally enhanced  in a demo version of Astra Image.

Moon.jpg

Dave,

No problem at all, looks good. Thanks for taking the time, at least I know I can capture the information. I just need to learn what to do with it!

4 hours ago, wornish said:

Moon.jpg

Dave,

how do you auto centre the moon?

9 hours ago, Sierra Golf Mike said:

Dave,

how do you auto centre the moon?

Thats one of the key features in PIPP.

In the processing tab select planetary object and Enable Object detection and select centre in frame.

PIPP-options.jpg

2 minutes ago, wornish said:

Thats one of the key features in PIPP.

In the processing tab elect planetary object and select centre in frame.

Dave,

Thanks! When I converted using PIPP I used the surface feature option. When it converts to TIFFs, do you have one per frame? That's a lot of TIFFs!

2 hours ago, Sierra Golf Mike said:

Dave,

Thanks! When I converted using PIPP I used the surface feature option. When it converts to TIFFs, do you have one per frame? That's a lot of TIFFs!

If you use the surface feature option then you cant do the centering.  That option is designed for really close up shots of the moon that fill most if not all the frame.

Select the Object/Planetary option to enable centering.  Make sure to test the object detection threshold before processing further and adjust threshold if it cant find the object ( Moon )

Click on the Quality Options tab and enable Quality Estimation and Quality Weighting before processing

When you convert to tiffs you do get one per frame but first you select the best 20 or so frames based on quality going beyond 50 frames doesn't give you any more detail if you select on quality.   You certainly dont want 2000 tifs !!

Pipp quality.jpg

12 minutes ago, wornish said:

If you use the surface feature option then you cant do the centering.  That option is designed for really close up shots of the moon that fill most if not all the frame.

Select the Object/Planetary option to enable centering.

Click on the Quality Options tab and enable Quality Estimation and Quality Weighting before processing

When you convert to tiffs you do get one per frame but first you select the best 20 or so frames based on quality going beyond 50 frames doesn't give you any more detail if you select on quality.   You certainly dont want 2000 tifs !!

Pipp quality.jpg

Thanks Dave, I appreciate your help. So to select the best 20 or so frames, is it just a case of changing the Number of frames to keep to 20 from 1200?

This is my attempt at Dave's method, I changed number or frames to keep to 30 and stacked the Tiffs in AutoStakkert, used Registax for wavelets ( still not sure what I'm meant to be doing, but tweaked it until it looked OK ) Then levels and sharpened in Photoshop, getting there I think!

Edit: Just noticed that there is not as much definition shown in Langrenus as there is in my attempts above! Maybe this one is too bright?

AVI Still Stack 1.png

Archived