NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Connection problem AZ EQ6

spaceman_spiff

Hi SGL,

I'm having issues connecting my AZEQ6 mount to the computer. It's just a simple connection from the handset to usb via a usb-serial adapter. I suspect that the pins in the handset are the problem since they have some corrosion on them (see pic). I can't see the usual /dev/usbserial mount point on the computer so it looks like a bad connection.

I've sort of scratched it and some has come off but I still have no connection.

Has anyone had this problem before? How do I clean away the green gunk?

Thanks

Dan

handset_1.jpg

Turning green need not be the result of exposure of copper to moisture. Copper will react with just atmospheric CO2 (Carbon Dioxide). Water will speed this up though. I wouldn't be overly concerned by this patina - the copper should still be fine for transmission of electronic signals right through the thin layer of the Copper Carbonate (this is quite chemically similar to what happens with Aluminum - which forms Aluminum Oxide from exposure to our atmosphere - which then prevents further oxidation from taking place). The carbonate(s) of copper are virtually all over the world. Anywhere you see shiny copper - comeback later and you'll not the 'shiny' being converted to the green carbonate.

Some of the world's most beautiful statues are green from this process. And they aren't about to collapse.

Dave

Statue-of-liberty-evacuation.jpg

Dan are you sure the problem lies with the handset connection?  Does the handset connect to the mount when you use just the handset itself? When I connect my computer to my AZ EQ6 it does not involve the handset at all. I use a serial/usb cable straight from the computer to the mount and connect via EQMOD.  When I have had problems with this it was due to the well known Win 10 prolific driver conflict on the usb/serial cable. 

Looking at the photograph of your handset socket I don't think the pins are that badly corroded - there is plenty of shiny copper there to make a good connection.

Jim

7 hours ago, saac said:

Dan are you sure the problem lies with the handset connection?  Does the handset connect to the mount when you use just the handset itself? When I connect my computer to my AZ EQ6 it does not involve the handset at all. I use a serial/usb cable straight from the computer to the mount and connect via EQMOD.  When I have had problems with this it was due to the well known Win 10 prolific driver conflict on the usb/serial cable. 

Looking at the photograph of your handset socket I don't think the pins are that badly corroded - there is plenty of shiny copper there to make a good connection.

Jim

Thanks Jim,

I don't use EQMOD yet as my computer runs Linux and Wine seems very buggy. The handset works with the mount, that's how I have been using the scope recently (just with the handset). 

If the connection looks good then the issue could be...

- Problem with cable - discounted this problem because the cable works for my other mount.

- Electrical problem with the socket in the handset

- Problem with the computer - Unlikely, the mount used to connect and no major software have been made. There could be some sort of conflict I don't know about though...

Dan.

The usual suspect in connecting a serial device, whether for eqmod or to the handset is the usb converter.  In windows you would check for the com port appearing in devices, been a long time since I used a serial device on Linux but there should be an equivalent

That would be my fist thing to look at Dan, if as you say the handset has been proven to work directly with the mount then I think it is pointing to a com conflict rather than an issue with the connector on the handset.  Good luck with running this one to ground, faults like this can be frustrating. I manage to overcome the bug issue with Win 10 by swapping the prolific USB driver for an FTDI  driver - no issue with EQMOD or com conflict since - touch wood :) 

Jim

If the corrosion (oxidation) of the connectors is really bad - you may live somewhere with a very corrosive environment. Such as along the ocean with lots of salt-spray. Copper does like to corrode easily, 'tis true. If that's the problem, then I'd suggest looking for the more-costly gold-plugs. God is very conductive (better than copper), and chemically inert for all practical purposes.

'Ta,

Dave

Ok, I have tested the connection with both my mounts and I get nothing on either. When I press start in the telescope control panel of Stellarium it says I am connected but no marker appears on screen and I cannot control the scope from Stellarium.

Starting to suspect the serial-USB converter. Any suggestions???

Shall I just buy a new converter? Jim, What's a FTDI driver? Will that work for a linux machine?

Dan.

Hi there,

Just an update...I solved the issue. Turns out that the RJ12 to serial cable was broken. Not sure how but I tested the connections using a multimeter and found that one of the nine serial pins connected to two pins in the RJ12 plug. Also two of the pins in the RJ12 plug were not connected to any serial pin.

I tested a new RJ12-serial cable and all was well (at least with one mount).

Thanks guys!

Dan :happy7:

Archived