Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

HELP ~ Broken Refractor

I am now officially in the doggy house.

Tonight I have managed to break my Mothers refractor (she is not amused).

I was demonstrating my Hyperion as my mum wears glasses and struggles with her standard eyepieces.

So before I shoved the Hyperion in the diagonal, I thought I would just pinch the grub screw that grips the diagonal to the draw tube and it snapped the plastic collar :oops: .

Although the draw tube looks like chromed steel, it is in fact plastic.

I unscrewed the collar from the draw tube and measured the diameter which is 35mm.

I have looked through various websites but cannot find a 35mm fitting that will screw on the end of the draw tube that will accept 1.25" eyepieces.

Can anybody suggest anything or am I snookered ?

:hello2:

Paul

What is the make of refractor?

Know this may help people to advise you.

Cheers

Ian

It's a Zennox refractor.

It's the plastic collar that is fixed to the end of the draw tube that you insert the diagonal into. On this Zennox the collar is threaded and simply screws onto the end of the draw tube. The collar has one pinch screw to hold the diagonal in place.

Paul

Why not take it to someone you know with a drill and a tap and die set. He could drill a new hole and tap in a new thread for you. You could find a suitable lock screw easy enough.

The problem is not as bad as you think. If you cant find anyone, send it to me I will do it for you.

No charge.

Ron.

Why not take it to someone you know with a drill and a tap and die set. He could drill a new hole and tap in a new thread for you. You could find a suitable lock screw easy enough.

The problem is not as bad as you think. If you cant find anyone, send it to me I will do it for you.

No charge.

Ron.

Nice one Ron. :-)

No charge.

Ron.

I would offer the same facilities here too. I have loads of Rubbish like that :hello2:

No charge.

Ron.

Thanks for the offer Ron

I could try and glue the split and re tap a new hole in the plastic collar in a different position ( I still have the lock screw).

Not sure how strong this would be but it's worth a try.

The only thing I have come accross is this from Scope & Skies.

I could maybe use the collar and lock screws from this focusser but I'm not sure if it's the same thread. This focusser is deigned for a 75mm refractor and my mums is a 70mm.

Does the scope have a star diagonal, it should do being a refractor. I wonder if the nosepiece, that would normally go into the focuser will unscrew, and let you screw the remainder of the diagonal onto the focuser. Of course if the diagonal is a one piece plastic housing, I doubt if the nosepiece will be a separate part. There a very few situations where a diagonal would not be inserted into a refractor, at least for visual use.

Ron

Does the scope have a star diagonal, it should do being a refractor. I wonder if the nosepiece, that would normally go into the focuser will unscrew, and let you screw the remainder of the diagonal onto the focuser. Of course if the diagonal is a one piece plastic housing, I doubt if the nosepiece will be a separate part. There a very few situations where a diagonal would not be inserted into a refractor, at least for visual use.

Ron

Hi Ron

The diagonal is one piece and the end of the threaded draw tube is 35mm (1" 3/8) diameter.

I will try to glue and re-tap the plastic collar.

If this does not work I will buy her a new refractor or give her mine and buy an upgrade for myself.

Paul

Ron

Hi Ron

The diagonal is one piece and the end of the threaded draw tube is 35mm (1" 3/8) diameter.

I will try to glue and re-tap the plastic collar.

If this does not work I will buy her a new refractor or give her mine and buy an upgrade for myself.

Paul

As long as your Mum is happy with the outcome Paul.

Best Wishes mate.

Ron.

Archived