NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Grab 'n Go, define ..

So, philosophy aside, the ultimate grab-and-go setup? Gitzo carbon photo tripod, fluid head, TV60, Tak prism, Leica Zoom. Put a Nagler Zoom and a 24mm Panoptic in your pocket.

How do I know this? Because even I, believe it or not, can still dream...

:happy11:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My problem is that I want 100mm aperture as my minimum. Over the years I've owned 60mm, 70mm, 80mm and 90mm scopes (quite nice ones too) but I just don't find the views engaging enough (even under dark skies) so, even though they are very portable, I was always picking the 102mm F/6.5 Vixen over them :dontknow:

38 minutes ago, iPeace said:

So, philosophy aside, the ultimate grab-and-go setup? Gitzo carbon photo tripod, fluid head, TV60, Tak prism, Leica Zoom. Put a Nagler Zoom and a 24mm Panoptic in your pocket.

I have used almost that exact set up many times.  Tak 60 with 1.25" Televue diagonal, Gitzo carbon fibre tripod and gitzo fluid head (though near zenith pointing can be a pain due to off centre balance issues), a 24 mm Panoptic, a Nagler Zoom and I have just gone mid range with a 7mm Type 6 Nagler rather than Leica zoom.  Works really well.  Can pick the whole thing up with one hand.

51 minutes ago, John said:

My problem is that I want 100mm aperture as my minimum. Over the years I've owned 60mm, 70mm, 80mm and 90mm scopes (quite nice ones too) but I just don't find the views engaging enough (even under dark skies) so, even though they are very portable, I was always picking the 102mm F/6.5 Vixen over them :dontknow:

John, you really must try a TV85 someday, just because. If even that doesn't work for you, then there's no further treatment.

I think that's why the FC-100 is such a cracking scope. Top notch Optics in a lightweight OTA, what's not to like?

I've said this before, I'm sure John's DL ultimately gives a touch better views than the D.C., but the portability and ability to use on a lightweight mount are deciding factors for me.

Having both is of course the most sensible ( ;) ) option, and I do have a DL impersonator in the form of my Vixen 102mm f9 Fluorite.

On 2/13/2017 at 07:40, iPeace said:

I agree with all of the above, and more.

Grab-and-go, for me, is more a mindset that a set of specifications. It's about minimizing setup and teardown (grab-and-stow!) time and effort, eschewing unnecessary steps, cultivating a routine, planning and ingenuity. It's about always being ready, prepared and able.

Minimizing weight, bulk and complexity helps - but there's often a tradeoff, resulting in the need for several modes of grab-and-go (bins, small scope, full monty). Your choice of aperture and focal length will, of course, be a major factor. You can only stay out so long, under certain conditions, before the dew monster shows up to crash the party. How many extra steps to have powered dewbands? Etc.

I've read here on SGL that this business is about taking what's there, and I agree. For me, grab-and-go means not having any excuse not to.

Living in a village with quite decent skies, has meant that I can " Grab an go not very far"; my 5" takes a few minutes to put up onto the Pier in the garden, the Dob is kept in the garage in a fairly cooled state and has access straight into the back garden, and the 4" on Skytee can be lifted from the Conservatory to patio instantly.

I really have no excuses when the opportunity arises. :happy11:

7 hours ago, iPeace said:

Getting into dream setups is perhaps the stuff of another day and in all honesty I don't have the hands on experience of different equipment that some of you guys do, but I think in the unlikely event of large amounts of cash becoming available I'd be somewhat torn. I can really appreciate the versatility of  a 80mm (ish) apo on a lightweight but sturdy Alt/Az mount with EPs to match, however I do like binos and though this is getting away from the ultra portable hang round your neck or mono-pod setup, if I found this package (the full kit) on the doorstep one day I would be pretty happy:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/vixen-binoculars/vixen-bt81s-a-binocular-telescope.html

Though then again perhaps after a session with a lightweight apo setup my courtship with big binos might go away!

13 minutes ago, Alfian said:

Getting into dream setups is perhaps the stuff of another day and in all honesty I don't have the hands on experience of different equipment that some of you guys do, but I think in the unlikely event of large amounts of cash becoming available I'd be somewhat torn. I can really appreciate the versatility of  a 80mm (ish) apo on a lightweight but sturdy Alt/Az mount with EPs to match, however I do like binos and though this is getting away from the ultra portable hang round your neck or mono-pod setup, if I found this package (the full kit) on the doorstep one day I would be pretty happy:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/vixen-binoculars/vixen-bt81s-a-binocular-telescope.html

Though then again perhaps after a session with a lightweight apo setup my courtship with big binos might go away!

Don't get me wrong - I will go to my grave with Canon IS bins on my tum.

45 minutes ago, iPeace said:

Don't get me wrong - I will go to my grave with Canon IS bins on my tum.

Well with the Canon IS bins I hope the view looking down is as good as the view looking up, but not for a long while yet I trust.

9 hours ago, iPeace said:

John, you really must try a TV85 someday, just because. If even that doesn't work for you, then there's no further treatment.

I have owned scopes which are very similar in aperture and performance Mike and the views were lovely. I just find that they don't deliver quite enough for me until 100mm aperture is reached :dontknow:

Archived