SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

WO Star71 FOV angle ?

Messing about mounting dual / triple scopes and can't figure out if these two are too close together.

Will the WO111FLT be visible in the Star71 FOV ?

I used to know how to work these things out once but can't remember, something to do with arc tan ?

Dave

WO-Star71FOV.png

I cannot be bothered trying mathematics Dave.  All I can say is that we have our WO 71 set back by roughly the same amount on top of our Esprit 120 and we have not had an issue.  One brief gap in the cloud should allow a real world test.   

I'm going to say no, not a chance of seeing the other other scope.* The beam going into the scope is parallel sided. Put a set square on the front of the small one and see where the other arm of the square goes.

Olly

*Watch me be wrong!!!

Only asked because when I had a DSLR with wide angle lens piggy backed on the SCT I could see the scope dew shield in the camera FOV which would seem to indicate that the light was coming into the front of the lens at an angle.

Dave

2 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Only asked because when I had a DSLR with wide angle lens piggy backed on the SCT I could see the scope dew shield in the camera FOV which would seem to indicate that the light was coming into the front of the lens at an angle.

Dave

True of a wide angle lens, certainly, but I think the effect reduces to almost nothing in a scope like yours. I did say 'think!'

Olly

With the focal length of the Star71 being around 350mm, I would say it's highly unlikely that the other scope will be in your FOV. On a FF DSLR sensor your FOV is 5.89° x 3.93°, which will cover an area the size of  M42 to B33. I reckon you could probably fit a dew shield that extended to the end of the other scope without a problem - probably... :happy8:

HTH

Rich

35 minutes ago, RichLD said:

With the focal length of the Star71 being around 350mm, I would say it's highly unlikely that the other scope will be in your FOV. On a FF DSLR sensor your FOV is 5.89° x 3.93°, which will cover an area the size of  M42 to B33. I reckon you could probably fit a dew shield that extended to the end of the other scope without a problem - probably... :happy8:

HTH

Rich

Thanks all if the clouds go away I'll find out for sure.

Dave

Archived