Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Will the mount support this?

Hi my sgl friends. 

I'm looking forward to get a heq5 to start my ap journey. 

This mount can take 14kgs of load. 

But the experts of ap in sgl say for imaging I should be at half the weight. 

So will I be OK with this stuff on the mount. 

Evostar 80ed./130pds 

Canon dslr(no battery pack) 

A QHY 5 camera. 

And I want to piggyback a 80mm short tube  achromatic refractor for guideing. 

And the normal finder scope for alignment stuff. 

Mr Raj:icon_santa:

47 minutes ago, Waldemar said:

Maybe you step on a personal scales with the fully equiped telescope in your arms, check the weight and deduct your own, so you will now know exactly what kind of weight you will attach to your mount.

That's how I dood it. My Orion ED80T CF (5.5 pounds) with all the trimmings is a bouncing baby at 13.4 (6.078 Kg) pounds total. And it sits on a 30 pound rated (13.6078 Kg) Celestron AVX mount.

Now, there is a reason to try and keep the load at ~ 1/2 the rating. The mount is more stable and can run with gentler corrections. But that 1/2 is a "Rule of Thumb", not an absolute. So don't worry too much. Also, there is the wind factor to consider. Larger telescopes tend to move in the breeze, and any movement messes up your images.

I like Nebula myself. So when choosing, I chose to go small after all. I didn't start there, I started out looking at a behemoth 6" refractor, then realized I needed to end up where I am. And I'm happy, finally. (My learning curve was steep and had more than a few boulders rolling down it. :D)

3 hours ago, SonnyE said:

I like Nebula myself. So when choosing, I chose to go small after all. I didn't start there, I started out looking at a behemoth 6" refractor, then realized I needed to end up where I am. And I'm happy, finally. (My learning curve was steep and had more than a few boulders rolling down it. :D)

I hope they did not hit you or your set-up...:BangHead:

4 hours ago, Waldemar said:

I hope they did not hit you or your set-up...:BangHead:

Yeah, they did. They did hit my mount. :wacko: Caused warranty returns.

First boulder hit within a month. They replaced the entire mount.

Second boulder hit a short time later, Motor Driver board shorted. Replaced the board.

Then my focuser on my telescope broke a guide wheel. Defective materials, focuser replaced.

I lost a month do to the mount, and about 10 days (IIRC) do to the focuser.

But I didn't give up, I kept trying. :hello2: I thought this Astronomy would be fun, and it certainly is, here two years later. :happy8: Quite challenging.

16 hours ago, SonnyE said:

Yeah, they did. They did hit my mount. :wacko: Caused warranty returns.

First boulder hit within a month. They replaced the entire mount.

Second boulder hit a short time later, Motor Driver board shorted. Replaced the board.

Then my focuser on my telescope broke a guide wheel. Defective materials, focuser replaced.

I lost a month do to the mount, and about 10 days (IIRC) do to the focuser.

But I didn't give up, I kept trying. :hello2: I thought this Astronomy would be fun, and it certainly is, here two years later. :happy8: Quite challenging.

Well... Murphy is the astronomers patron, whether that is a blessing or a curse... what to think...
It looks like he was really on your case!

Glad you are having a better relationship with him now.:headbang:

Archived