Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Plate solving the moon?

furrysocks2

Thanks for the link - I hadn't seen that.

Yeah, I took some random webcam shots last month through my dob and manually put this together:

moon.jpg

The moon's not that expansive and I'll learn my way around in time, just wondered if there was anything out there to localise an image and annotate.

In interesting idea, maybe, is an app that would lock on a feature of the moon, and let you build a mosaic around that feature.

Main thing to overcome would be seeing I expect? After that, I expect it's effectively plate solving using a datable of images.

Simple when you phrase it like that :)

Focus of this article I think is spacecraft descent and collision avoidance, but this sort of thing...

lunarsolve.jpg

http://www.intechopen.com/books/matlab-a-fundamental-tool-for-scientific-computing-and-engineering-applications-volume-1/detection-of-craters-and-its-orientation-on-lunar

I'd love to have something like this produce an annotated live field of view on screen, or send coordinates to a moon map app in the same way as you can push plate solved coords to Stellarium, etc. My Dob will hopefully end up on an eq platform but otherwise undriven.

• 9 months later...

Archived