Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Finally a chance to dust off my scope..

Mr Bergman

Hello all, 

finally I got a chance to use my scope again, after a long pause due weather and work. After banging the scope against the garagefloor, I was expecting some collimation problems. When setting the scope up, I was worried that this incident might have caused problems, but when looking at the first image my stars were better than ever! Since I haven´t been using my things for a while I decided to just go for a quick checkride on M42. Everything seemed to work fine, except some autoguiding problems now and then, so I am looking forward to imaging more coming months. 

This image consists of  roughly 10x20 secs + 10x5secs at ISO 1600 with my modded Canon. No specials, and I know you guys have been posting and seeing a lot of this target, but I still want to post it, since I always appreciate ideas and comments! 

M42.jpg

27 minutes ago, wimvb said:

Great return. Your image looks good, no more comments needed there.

Garage floor collimation? Try to market that through FLO. :icon_biggrin:

Cheers,

Thank you wimvb! Yeah, garage floor collimation is an upcoming trend, you should try it?? The trick is to drop the scope at the right height and angle!

39 minutes ago, Scott said:

Is my maths right? 4min 10sec total? That's something special for next to no time. amazing :D
And don't worry, I don't think it's possible to get tired of M42

Hi there Scott!, And thank you! Yes the maths are correct; only a few exposures here. I tried 1/2/3 mins but had some problems with autoguiding,  so I decided on short exposures. I got "saturated star" warning and poor guiding stability, and it was my own fault choosing 1 sec update on guiding, making phd a bit stressed out! At least I think this was the reason. Anyways, we just moved to a new house with clear unobstructed view south without disturbing light! And that makes a big difference. /Erik

On 2017-01-25 at 00:10, Mr Bergman said:

Thank you wimvb! Yeah, garage floor collimation is an upcoming trend, you should try it?? The trick is to drop the scope at the right height and angle!

And most likely the right floor. No thanks, I'll play it safe with my collimator cap and barlowed laser. :icon_biggrin:

22 hours ago, laudropb said:

Very nice image.

Thanks laudropb!

22 hours ago, cfpendock said:

For the total exposure time, that is pretty incredible!

Chris

Thank you Chris! 

22 hours ago, ultranova said:

I like it, For the amount of imaging time that's come out rather splendid.

Its not over processed, the colours are good, what's not to like

well done

Paul

Thank you Paul! Yes sometimes less is more, and even though this was a testrun, I believe a too deep rendition removes a bit of the mystique of space. 

Erik

Archived