NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Venus

Moonshane

Very well captured Shane. I saw the cusps and unevenness of the 'terminator' the other night, but still no sign of surface detail that I could call real!

Have you tried a filter of any sort? I know you talked about using your Wedge a while back?

Very nice! I like that a lot! :thumbsup:

Ive found it's virtually impossible to illustrate the shading as it appears in the eyepiece. All my Venus drawings are exaggerated with regard to shadings. I also find it much easier to detect the very subtle markings when using my binoviewer rather than a mono view. Colour filters don't really do much for me, but that could be because I'm using a small aperture. They are probably much more useful on the brighter images of larger scopes.

Mike

10 hours ago, Stu said:

Very well captured Shane. I saw the cusps and unevenness of the 'terminator' the other night, but still no sign of surface detail that I could call real!

Have you tried a filter of any sort? I know you talked about using your Wedge a while back?

cheers Stu

I don't tend to use filters other than my solar ones. I may try the Baader wedge but I'd have to take the filters out etc so probably won't bother. Might try Mike's suggestion with BVs though as I have not tried them for planetary yet.

10 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

Very nice! I like that a lot! :thumbsup:

Ive found it's virtually impossible to illustrate the shading as it appears in the eyepiece. All my Venus drawings are exaggerated with regard to shadings. I also find it much easier to detect the very subtle markings when using my binoviewer rather than a mono view. Colour filters don't really do much for me, but that could be because I'm using a small aperture. They are probably much more useful on the brighter images of larger scopes.

Mike

Yeah it's tricky Mike. I am thinking of maybe trying one with dark markings for light and vice versa and then invert in paint. Might work you never know.

Archived