Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Guidescope and Lodestar X2 Camera Help Please?

Hello All

I have a 60mm guidescope and plan to use my Lodestar X2 Mono for the guide camera. The question is how far do I need to insert the X2 into the focuser as it appears to push into the guidescope about 40mm? Do I just slide it in until the X2 goes in enough until the two holding screws come in contact with nose piece of the X2?

I will try and attach a picture with guidescope and specifications for you to make a judgement please....

Best regards,

Hadyn - Isle of Man

Guidescope Specs.jpg

Hi Hadyn

Since flexture is the bane of guiding, I would attach the X2 to the M42 x 0.75 T2 thread in the scope spec, rather than the 1.25" nosepiece.

But either way, you need to space the X2 so that it's at the focal point of the guidescope (obviously), with the helical focuser mid- travel. This is  easiest to gauge during the day on a distant object. If you're using the 1.25 nosepiece, start with it inserted fully for rigidity, hopefully  the quick- focus in the spec will have sufficient travel, but you can juggle it with the nosepiece insertion.

Michael

On 23/01/2017 at 22:01, michael8554 said:

Hi Hadyn

Since flexture is the bane of guiding, I would attach the X2 to the M42 x 0.75 T2 thread in the scope spec, rather than the 1.25" nosepiece.

But either way, you need to space the X2 so that it's at the focal point of the guidescope (obviously), with the helical focuser mid- travel. This is  easiest to gauge during the day on a distant object. If you're using the 1.25 nosepiece, start with it inserted fully for rigidity, hopefully  the quick- focus in the spec will have sufficient travel, but you can juggle it with the nosepiece insertion.

Michael

Hello Michael

Thank you very much for response.

I am sorry to say that I am not too sure what you mean by getting the M42 x 0.75 thread in the scope spec, please if you have a link for the part that is needed or is it the actual thread that is shown in picture to  where one would actually insert the X2 into with an adaptor?  Sorry about sounding a bit vague, but I am only very new to astrophotography and just want to start to try some guiding to get longer exposures.

Best regards,

Hadyn - IOM

However having just looked up the X2, it doesn’t have a T thread, it has a CS thread, so yes, you're stuck with sliding it into the focuser as tho it were an eyepiece.

So, you’re basically stuck with sliding it in enough to grip it, then try and find focus... if you can’t get focus, slide it in further and try again. Rinse n’ repeat until you find the best position.

4 minutes ago, hadyn42 said:

Hello Marci

Thank you very much for your reply, I do understand what you mean!

Thanks again.

Best regards,

Hadyn - IOM

Hello again Marci

Just had a thought, I don't get too many at my age, ha, ha.

The Lodestar X2 is 1.25" in diameter and I don't think by sliding it into guidescope will do me any good as without the thumbscrew inserted,  I will not be able to secure the X2 into the guidescope?

Best regards,

Hadyn - IOM

Yes, as per above... just put the thumbscrew back in again. If you had a camera with a t2 thread you wouldn’t need it as the camera fits over the focus tube... but you don’t, so how you were originally doing it is the correct way. You just have to experiment to find the correct position to allow you to achieve focus.

Hi Hadyn.

Here's what I to secure my SuperStar to my ST-80

One of these to secure the camera too.

http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/rother-valley-optics-c-mount-t-thread-adaptor.html

And two 40mm extensions to provide enough back focus.

http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/baader-t-2-extension-tubes.html

This way, everything screws together solid as a rock.

13 hours ago, cjdawson said:

Hi Hadyn.

Here's what I to secure my SuperStar to my ST-80

One of these to secure the camera too.

http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/rother-valley-optics-c-mount-t-thread-adaptor.html

And two 40mm extensions to provide enough back focus.

http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/baader-t-2-extension-tubes.html

This way, everything screws together solid as a rock.

Hello Colin and A Happy New Year to you!

Thank you for the message and the information. I have got the part on order and it should be here on Monday for me to try out.

My wife and I are going to the Galloway Spring Star Party in February for 5 days as I really enjoyed going to the Autumn one last year, Great dark skies and a great campsite!

Best regards,

Hadyn - IOM

Archived