SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

PoleMaster and the Master of Disaster!

Moonshed

I really am The Master of Disaster, if it can possibly go wrong then in my hands it definately will. After much "shall I shan't I" I went ahead and ordered it and it arrived this morning, I actually managed to download the software, uncompress and install it without a snag. Wow!  So, still indoors, I plugged the PoleMaster into the computer and up it came on the screen, ready to lock onto the stars. Another wow! Next step, to the "Moonshed" (named by the grandchildren) to see it it fits the mount. Good grief it does!  Only one simple step left, lock the adapter into the mount using that dinky little allen key, what could possibly go wrong, job done surely? Part tightened the first locking screw no problem. Switched to the other one and started tightening, almost in disbelief, no snags!!!  Then the Master of Disaster curse struck, I fumbled the Allen key and dropped it down the shaft! I couldn't reach it with my fingers, the thin nose pliers were too big to use, what to do? As it happens, by pure luck, I have a very small horseshoe magnet that I was able to lower down the shaft with a thin plastic tie (that was wrapped around the cable in the box) and pull it safely out. Minutes later the job was done. A few hours later and It's now dark, I can see stars, so I can actually try it out. Fingers crossed!

It just goes to show how careful you have to be, but fumbling that little allen key cannot be that unusual can it? I can't think of any precaution that I could have taken apart from tying the tie to the key before starting to use it. I wonder if any other members have had similar problems trying out new kit and how they resolved it.

Keith aka The Master of Disaster.

Archived