SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Easiest to use mount to manually follow planets

What mount is the easiest to follow the objects in solar system using the screw knobs for a beginner? Alt az or EQ (ex. AZ4 vs CG4/EQ3 with correct polar align).

Manually, as I don't want to use electric motors. Simplicity and ease of use is first priority.

Is a EQ mount useless without polar alignment?

With an EQ mount, if it's polar aligned, you should only need to adjust the right ascension axis so it is easier to track.

With an alt-azimuth mount it's a case of "along a bit, up a bit, along a bit, up a bit".

That said, I find it quite easy to track at high magnifications with my alt-azimuth mounts with no slow motion controls fitted. Simplicity is my byword as well :icon_biggrin:

If you're using higher magnifications, the manual tracking of an Equatorial can be very useful to keep your target in view. They do take more time to set up and align, but with practice this becomes quite easy. Alt-Az mounts are simpler overall but more limited. Both are good - but what is most important is that they are solid and don't shake like jelly :happy7:

A slightly different answer from me focuses on what is (or isn't) visible in the next few years.  The juicy planet targets are very poorly placed for observing for some time.  Jupiter is ok next Spring but not great.  The rest are poorly placed.  Obviously the Moon and Sun (with appropriate filtration) are ok.  So you may wish to think of observing outside of the restrictions of the Solar System and thus consider a GoTo mount to find those more difficult fainter deep sky targets?

If you are going to be manually operating the mount for visual observing then an equatorial mount set to your latitude and roughly pointed due North will be quite adequate to keep a planet in view with minor adjustment. The point about the position of the planets being poorly placed for some time is a very valid one!  :icon_biggrin:

Archived