Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First proper Whirlpool galaxy

Peco4321

First of all, pictures will follow shortly. 

Just got in after an early morning session. Aim was to get ISS and Jupiter but failed on both, missed ISS and couldn't quite get sharp focus on Jupiter. 

Anyway, wanted to achieve something and noticed UM high overhead so though I'd try my luck in the ever brightening sky (it was now 06:30!) and think I've managed about 20 x 20sec subs so will process shortly. I will post whatever I get for constructive criticism. 

31 minutes ago, PeterCPC said:

I would try it again under a dark sky - the Moon does not help any. Also you are getting some star trailing there.

Peter

Yes I will. I did not polar align properly as I was only intending on imaging Jupiter and the ISS so that will explain the trailing. I simply pointed the scope roughly at the North Star and didn't even centre in the ep. Not too bad really ?

Looks about par for the course?  Just for comparison here's one I took in April 2016 when I was just starting.  Celestron 130 Newtonian on HEQ5-Pro, Lodestar X2 camera, 7 x 30s subs, no bias, darks, or flats (hence dust bunnies.)

20160417_M51_reproc.jpg

On 14/01/2017 at 08:22, Peco4321 said:

So here is my first real attempt, 21 x 20 sec ISO 1600, 30 x bias no darks stacked in DSS stretched a bit and processed a bit in PS.  Any tips?

Reminds me of my first attempt at the Whirlpool. Well worth another go with better polar alignment. I was quite pleased with mine and it showed less detail than yours, so you should be quite happy, :) shame about the star trailing though :(

It's a very good first attempt, but next time i'd capture when it's fully dark, not getting bright. :)

Not sure how stable the EQ3-2 is, but if you still have those trails with a proper polar alignment i'd half the exposure and set ISO3200 instead.
Will cost you some dynamic range and a few other things, but frames with that much star trails won't allow you to pull out the details. Some drift during the session is not an issue. In fact it may even help you with enough exposures as it helps eliminate bad pixels, and will help increase the resolution should you use drizzle while stacking - but expose no longer then that the stars look nice.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm quite sure if this was 42 x 10 sec ISO 3200 instead it would have significantly sharper details, more faint details, be easier to process, and probably have about the same noise level.

Take at least one proper set of flats, it will help you a lot. I have marked my camera position on the focuser so i'll always attach it in the same angle, and have actually used my same master flat file with success for about 2 years now (yes i know, dust moves and temperature changes focus distance, but this haven't caused me any problems).
And as always, also only shoot and stack RAW.

Archived