Dobsonian skywatcher

fiestazetecmk2

I fitted one to my DIY 8.5" dob, but found it a bit funny. Was yours a 12" steel £10 job from eBay?

Every now and again it won't settle quite where I leave it - maybe a bit of grit under a bearing or something. And it's sometimes too lively - it changes position when I change eyepiece so had to add a central bolt to compress the base a bit to slow it down.

You have either of these problems?

I've left the central bolt in position but had to put a longer one in.also had to find a lonher sleeve for the longer bolt as original  one to short.. Mine runs very smooth.and I fixed to the base and top boards.if I find it gets to fast I will put some carpet on the base board to slow it.but at the minute it feels about right.yes it an eBay one.hope this helps.

I wouldn't but some folk have mentioned in the past that their gardens  were on a slope?

Was their reason not to own a Dob?

Like anything in this hobby, we wont know if we like something or if something works better unless we try ourselves.

I removed the central bolt and the white "polo" spacer. Then placed two cds and a circle of milk carton plastic with hole in centre. You might need to add a further disc if needed. Then buffed in some Turtle Wax to the surface facing the small Teflon pads. Then put the original bolt back through the plastic and discs, just smooth.

Nick.

You can add a bit of "sticktion" by placing 3 ptfe blocks round the periphery of the lazy susan - and a drilled one for the bolt to go through in the center - between the baseboard and bottom board of the rocker box. To protect the laminated chipboard from wearing add a formica track for them to ride on. Tighten the center bolt just enough to get the right amount of friction to easily enable pointing and nudging, whilst holding the ota in place for observing:

http://www.awrtech.co.uk/miscprod.htm#PTFE

IMG_5486r.jpg

IMG_5476r.jpg

Archived