Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Imaging with Synscan 130p

Hi everyone, so my copy of Every Photon Counts touches on the matter of some Reflectors not reaching focus with a dslr attached,  my 130p AZ Synscan is highlighted on some forums, as one such scope.  There is little on offer as to solutions, so im looking for some further input on overcoming this barrier. Are extension tubes a solution? 

Thanks For Any Feedback 

There are several solutions however extension tubes is not one of them, you need to get the camera closer to the primary mirror or move the focal point further out of the focuser to achieve focus.

To do this you can:

Use a barlow lens.

Modify or replace the focuser so that it can move in more.

Move the primary mirror up the tube either by fully adjusting the collimation bolts or replacing them with longer ones.

Shorten the OTA by cutting a bit off the bottom.

Use a camera where the sensor is closer to the flange.

Use low profile fittings.

The focuser on my 130P looks like this:

As you can see it is quite a bit shorter than normal, whether this allows you to achieve prime focus depends on your camera.

IMG_0006.JPG

Thanks D4N, out of those options, for me it can only be the Barlow Lens at this stage, I appreciate the clarification on the extension tubes. I have a Canon 450d yet to be really tested with this scope but I'm sensing limitations & complexities especially with the FOV using a x2 Barlow but I'm going to persevere. Thanks for your excellent advice.

Hi. I had the same problem with my 150p.

This how I got over it.

There's a youtube video and a gallery of photo's on SGL

There is also an extra low profile T ring available from RVO 9mm less depth allowing 9mm more inward travel.

Nige.

But dare I say it ditch the telescope idea instead use your mount with your camera and a camera lens. Keep your telescope for webcam and planets/moon. The advantage a camera and lens will be so much lighter for your mount to manage it will reach focus and you can have just as much fun and learn dso imaging and processing.

Archived