NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A bit more added to NGC 1333

simmo39

Thought i had given up on this one but couldnt help myself the other night and added a bit more data. Now at 10.5 hours worth. Still not a lot to show for it but it does seem to be becoming brighter.

so to the details: 10.5 hours worth of 6min subs at 800. taken with my trusty SW 130 pds and 600d canon.

redo1_filtered_zpsb8vfbnwf.jpg

Hints and tips welcome.

Nice progress Simmo!

It looks quite similar to my resent struggle with this Balrog nebula:

I can see that you are struggling with the red-green mottle noise in the dark parts. I got away from much of that typical DSLR problem by using the Adobe Raw plugin in PS to turn my raw CR2 files into tiff and using the noise filter in that plugin. It is describe in this tutorial by Tony Hallas on Youtube:

21 hours ago, wimvb said:

Getting along nicely. With this much time on target, noise will be low enough and processing should become easier.

Thanks for sharing

Thank you, Not sure it is getting easier.lol

12 hours ago, PatrickGilliland said:

Now that is starting to take shape - great progress.  The knot area is looking very nice.

Paddy

thanks Paddy

12 hours ago, gorann said:

Nice progress Simmo!

It looks quite similar to my resent struggle with this Balrog nebula:

I can see that you are struggling with the red-green mottle noise in the dark parts. I got away from much of that typical DSLR problem by using the Adobe Raw plugin in PS to turn my raw CR2 files into tiff and using the noise filter in that plugin. It is describe in this tutorial by Tony Hallas on Youtube:

Hi Goran, Thanks for the pointer. I dont use PS but will see if there is something like it in PI. I have had PI for about a year and still find new things with it.

6 hours ago, Jannis said:

Very nice capture there, the faint nebula is starting to show up good and have nice colors! :) 

Thank you Jannis.

5 hours ago, simmo39 said:

Hi Goran, Thanks for the pointer. I dont use PS but will see if there is something like it in PI. I have had PI for about a year and still find new things with it.

You can use MultiscaleMedianTransform on Chrominance (Restore CIE Y):

6 - 7 layers noise reduction checked on all layers

layer 1: Threshold 10 (other settings default)

For every next layer, decrease Threshold by about 1, leave the other settings at default

until layer 7: Threshold 0.5 - 1 (this layer may not be needed, experiment)

Use a luminance mask inverted, such that only dark areas will be affected.

This will effectively kill any chroma noise (colour noise). You should experiment with the settings. The first time you run this tool, it will be quite slow, but after this first it is fast, since the layer structures only have to be calculated once. Unless you decide to change the number of layers.

http://wimvberlo.blogspot.se/2016/07/noise-reduction-for-dslr-astroimages.html (scroll further down)

If you find the effect to strong, you can either decrease the parameters, or blend the image with 50-50 with the original (make a clone first), using PixelMath

hope this helps

Firstly this is a nemesis object. It might even be worse than M78. In fact I think it is worse than M78, and that's very bad!!!

I think you're dong well on the colours and this is a colour object, but it has yellows in there which need finding. Seek and ye shall find (he said, full of good ideas for other people...)

Olly

2 hours ago, wimvb said:

You can use MultiscaleMedianTransform on Chrominance (Restore CIE Y):

6 - 7 layers noise reduction checked on all layers

layer 1: Threshold 10 (other settings default)

For every next layer, decrease Threshold by about 1, leave the other settings at default

until layer 7: Threshold 0.5 - 1 (this layer may not be needed, experiment)

Use a luminance mask inverted, such that only dark areas will be affected.

This will effectively kill any chroma noise (colour noise). You should experiment with the settings. The first time you run this tool, it will be quite slow, but after this first it is fast, since the layer structures only have to be calculated once. Unless you decide to change the number of layers.

http://wimvberlo.blogspot.se/2016/07/noise-reduction-for-dslr-astroimages.html (scroll further down)

If you find the effect to strong, you can either decrease the parameters, or blend the image with 50-50 with the original (make a clone first), using PixelMath

hope this helps

Thanks  wimvb, did a quick experiment and there was a definite improvement. I will need to have a better play when I get more time. 

6 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Firstly this is a nemesis object. It might even be worse than M78. In fact I think it is worse than M78, and that's very bad!!!

I think you're dong well on the colours and this is a colour object, but it has yellows in there which need finding. Seek and ye shall find (he said, full of good ideas for other people...)

Olly

Hi and thanks olly, When I started this I thought it would be a nice quick job but it turned out to be a big fight but a good learning curve. I will try and pick an easier target next time.

Just now, simmo39 said:

Thanks  wimvb, did a quick experiment and there was a definite improvement. I will need to have a better play when I get more time. 

Hi and thanks olly, When I started this I thought it would be a nice quick job but it turned out to be a big fight but a good learning curve. I will try and pick an easier target next time.

No, don't. Stick with a difficult target, as you are doing. Bravo.

Olly

6 minutes ago, simmo39 said:

If you ever find a "nice quick job" in AP, please let me know. I haven't found one yet. :grin:

3 minutes ago, wimvb said:

If you ever find a "nice quick job" in AP, please let me know. I haven't found one yet. :grin:

True. We might once have been able to say, 'Double Cluster' but Fabian Neyer knocked that idea n the head!

Olly

Archived