Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

2017's First Major Meteor Shower.

Anyone planning on observing the Quadrantids shower? I have to admit to only ever having observed this shower once in 28 years of observing! Many are put off observing this shower as when the skies are clear the temperature is usually pretty cool. The cold never bothered me but I am usually defeated by clouds. Forecast at the moment where I am looks promising for the morning of the 3rd (Tuesday) although by posting this I have just forfeit my chances of any clear skies! My one experience of this shower (2012) was a positive one, with good rates and some nice bright meteors too so with luck this years show will be similar.

For some time now I have had the intention of trying to image a shower in some fashion or other but having missed out on all the major showers last year I think I will plan to just sit back and watch this time around.

Meteor observing is one of my favourite ways to observe the night sky as it is as simple as it gets! I have a sun lounger, a sleeping bag, lots of warm clothes, many jaffa cakes and a supply of hot tea. With all this in place it's just a case of sit back and try to stay awake! I do like to keep records though, so I have a clipboard, red light, pen and star map within in arms reach for recording each meteor.

If you do go out, let us know how you get on and what you see.

Clear skies.

David

Managed an early morning observation session on the 2nd Jan.

Wife and I observed from 4 am to 5.30 am and managed a total of 21 Quadrantids under good conditions. Odd light cloud patches drifted through at times but 90% clear and only "cool" skies throughout. Had to work next day so missed the max, friends were out observing DS objects on the 2-3rd and recorded -5c temperatures!!!

Introduced our 14mm f2.8 Samyang to the world of meteor photography and managed a couple of captures. 

Les

IMG_7206 Quadrantid_compressed.jpg

IMG_7250 Quadrantid_compressed.jpg

Archived