SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Can someone tell me what this is?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glimpse111...I took the photo with a Sony a6000 with a 55-210mm f/4.5-6.3 OSS lens. Since all of the stars are different distances away what I do is focus in on a star I want to take pics of and then I back off the manual zoom so I can fit more of the sky in the image and any stars that are within a certain range will also be captured. The more focused they are in relation to the initial star I focused in on the closer they are to being on the same relative plane. For instance...here are two pics I took yesterday. I took a close-up of Sirius and then I took a pic after I backed off the manual zoom (leaving the manual focus setting the same). When you zoom in on the stars in a photo viewer you can't see any detail because the amount of light captured washes it out but I'm hoping to find a way to restrict the light so that you can see the stars more like you do in the close-up or at least the fact that they're all different colours.

SIRIUS (Original).JPG

SIRIUS (Annotation).JPG

SIRIUS.JPG

4 hours ago, ASTRAL THIEF said:

Glimpse111...I took the photo with a Sony a6000 with a 55-210mm f/4.5-6.3 OSS lens. Since all of the stars are different distances away what I do is focus in on a star I want to take pics of and then I back off the manual zoom so I can fit more of the sky in the image and any stars that are within a certain range will also be captured. The more focused they are in relation to the initial star I focused in on the closer they are to being on the same relative plane. For instance...here are two pics I took yesterday. I took a close-up of Sirius and then I took a pic after I backed off the manual zoom (leaving the manual focus setting the same). When you zoom in on the stars in a photo viewer you can't see any detail because the amount of light captured washes it out but I'm hoping to find a way to restrict the light so that you can see the stars more like you do in the close-up or at least the fact that they're all different colours.

All the stars you see are effectively at infinity as far as the camera/eye is concerned , you cannot focus on a star 1 lightyear away and see a star at 10 lightyears out of focus , they are to all intents and purposes in the same plane ... :happy8:

I don't know brother...my camera says otherwise. In fact when I zoom to infinity 99 out of 100 time the image is [removed word]. Here are 3 back to back pics of Sirius I took yesterday. I had the lens out to 210mm plus 5.9 optical zoom with the focus ring set somewhere under 343m...though I can't say for sure. Hopefully the clouds clear out soon so that I can go out and take some pics tonight. If they do I will find out what that last focus setting is.

DSC03245.JPG

DSC03244.JPG

DSC03243.JPG

Here are some other pics with stars in varying degrees of focus. God willing I'll have my rig within the next 30 days so I can show more of what I'm talking about. Pull up the image in a image viewer program and zoom in as close as possible and you can see the similarity of the stars to the close-ups I posted of Sirius.

Original.jpeg

Annotated.jpeg

Steve...in my humble opinion stars aren't pinpoints of light and they aren't what NASA says they are. And they definitely aren't quadrillions of miles away and we aren't seeing light that left the stars many many years ago. To me that seems like utter nonsense. Take a look at this video (the star at 5:45 is one of my favourites).

7 minutes ago, ASTRAL THIEF said:

Steve...in my humble opinion stars aren't pinpoints of light and they aren't what NASA says they are. And they definitely aren't quadrillions of miles away and we aren't seeing light that left the stars many many years ago. To me that seems like utter nonsense. 

Well I think that you are probably on the wrong forum in that case , you might be better off somewhere that is inhabited by tinfoil-hat wearing anti-NASA conspiracy theorists rather than well-educated amateur (and professional ) astronomers.

SGL  CoC prevents me from expressing my true feelings so I shall just bid you a Happy New Year and wish you well for the future wherever it may take you ... :icon_clown:

Now, now 'Gentlemen' - let us not start hurling balls of tinfoil just yet. Celebrating the New Year engenders racous behavior all by itself, so shall we not add to it any hostilities? Thank you.

Purposefully de-focusing stars actually serves a valuable purpose: Determining their color. Andthe color of a star can tell us a great deal about many of the stars' characteristics - age, composition, and what the star is currently capable of creating (element-wise) within it's fusion-fired nuclear-furnace.

So de-focus and learn some fascinating tidbits about these luminous denizens of our common Universe.

Now where's my Iridium-Helmet...?

Dave

24 minutes ago, ASTRAL THIEF said:

How did I know a personal attack full of buzzwords would follow my last post...so typical. Okay mister well educated...watch the video I posted and give me an explanation that is founded in verifiable facts.

The explanation is near the start of the video. A star test is being performed to test the optics of the scope. The later images of defocused stars are at high magnification, so the effects of earth's atmosphere are distorting the image.

No insults here, but when you focus the telescope properly you will be able to see detail and structure in quite a few deep space objects,. Maybe that will convince you!

45 minutes ago, ASTRAL THIEF said:
13 minutes ago, ASTRAL THIEF said:

How did I know a personal attack full of buzzwords would follow my last post...so typical. Okay mister well educated...watch the video I posted and give me an explanation that is founded in verifiable facts.

All your video shows is a series of out of focus pinpoints of starlight badly affected by the turbulent atmosphere ( try Googling "Astronomical Seeing" ) and probably turbulent air currents within the telescope tube itself ( try Googling "tube currents telescope" ) 

Different colours are seen due to the different temperatures of the stars themselves ( try Googling "star colour temperature chart" ) and the wildly coloured star you like so much was almost certainly low in the sky at the time and the colour changes were caused by atmospheric dispertion of the light through the thicker atmosphere encountered by the photons ( try Googling "atmospheric dispertion" )

Archived