Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lakeside Focuser and Tension Screw

I set mine (non-Lakeside) as needed. Usually when bringing in my telescope, I will give it a tweak tighter to hold the tube snug.

But the intention of it is to dampen the travel of the focuser tube. For me, I snug it up when my telescope goes more vertical so the weight of my imaging camera is less likely to change my focusing.

Mine is the original Crayford Style Dual-Speed that Orion put on the Refractor. The screw actually presses a brass block against the adjusting rod to apply more (tightening), or less (loosening) tension.

But this is the second one, the original developed a cracked guide wheel (one of 4) and damaged the tube. It was replaced under warranty.

Short answer: Variable. Gently snug it up to hold the position of the tube. The focuser will still operate with a considerable amount of tension applied. :wink:

Archived