Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

takumar disappointment

alacant

Hi everyone. Having such good results from my 135 and 200 takumar examples, I had high hopes for this old takumar 300; poor. Soft and the sort of aberration where the red -rather than the blue of the achromats- is out. Even my st80 is sharper and doesn't distort as much at the edges. Dunno, maybe I just got a bad example or am expecting too much of old glass. Does anyone have one?

california.jpg

I've heard elsewhere that the 300mm isn't great for AP I'm afraid. In general old lenses struggle to control chromatic aberration at long focal lengths, I had a look at a Carl-Zeiss 300mm f4 once which was pretty bad. It might still be good for narrow-band work if that's an option for you, if not then selling it on might be the best thing to do.

I have a 300mm Takumar lens but haven't got round to trying it for imaging.  If or when I do it would be for NB imaging - for most galaxies I shall be using my Esprit 80ED APO with field flattener.

I experimented with some old lenses on my CCDs once. Can't recall anything decent from a 300mm one, which probably means it was rubbish :p Would have to go back and find the data though, it was a while ago.

1 hour ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

if not then selling it

Hi. Thanks everyone for your replies. Yeah, I don't think it's worth wasting any more time with. I'll spare everyone the injustice of classifying it here and stick it on eBay from whence it came, so beware: 3160921DSC_0201.JPG

Archived