Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observation report 26-12-2016

BXRO

Just thought I'd record my activities from last night

Seeing:

No stars seen inside the great square of Pegasus, only three stars seen of Ursa Minor, suggesting the limiting magnitude was around "3". Looked as though there was some high level ice clouds reducing viability.

Learning:

As suggested in SGL I defocused slightly on the pole star to aid polar alignment, very successful as later target acquisition was a lot easier

Used the Pegasus constellation to locate M31, (two along and two up), much easier than using caseopea could not locate M33 though.

Results:

Located and observed M15 in Pegasus

Located and observed M36, M37 and M38 in Auriga 

Observed Venus, showing 50% phasing, due to a light haze unable to use more than my 7mm EP and magnify beyond 90X

General

A reasonable night activity for a novice enjoyable and engaging, tonight should be clear again and I will plan my viewing this PM

Nice report and a nice set of targets. I think there was some thin high cloud last night where I am also (in the Midlands) which took the edge off some targets but still good compared to normal.

Nice report, makes me wish I'd ventured out but I had a social engagement and by the time I was free it was very windy and I'd been on the sherbert.

Unfortunately it's not looking so good here at the moment.

BTW I'm just along the A17 from you.

Good luck.

Archived