Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Getting Started with Imaging

SAW

Hi,

I posted a while back regarding getting a first scope and had a lot of help, well I still haven't bought one as I'm waiting to get something in the new year (maybe a sale). I thought I wanted a dob to just go out in my garden and look around but I'd always been interested in the images of nebula's etc this is what really interests me but I don't have any experience with photography. I got to go a local observing site last night and had chance to look over some scopes and through them. I had a look through a couple of dob's, a newtonian, a maksutov and some refractors. I wasn't going to go for a Go To but I definitely am now ! While I like the dob's I've been put off by there size plus I want to do some imaging. I was really impressed with the Maksutov (think it was a nexstar evo 6 or 8) due to it's size. I was also impressed with a newtonian 130mm with the images I got shown likewise with the refractors.

So setting aside the cost of a camera what should I be looking to spend on a scope to get started in imaging, to start with I'll just be viewing stuff but want a scope ready for imaging once I get a decent camera.

Can you do imaging with the Nexstar's ?

Should I go for a Newtonian, Refractor or Maksutov ?

I do like not having to do any collimation with the refractors and maksutov's, I know once you've done it few times there's nothing to it.

Thanks.

1. determine your budget - you didn't mention that.
  2. buy Making every photon count by Steve Richards; and read it several times.
  3. compare images from the different OATs to get a better idea of what they can do
  4. reconsider our budget as you will want to invest in the best mount that you can
  5. read Making every photon count again.
  6. get the best mount that you can - Optical Tube Assemblies (OTA), relatively, are cheap compared to mounts and you will be buying at least two anyway as time goes on :) No one OTA does everything. 

If you already have a DSLR, that can be pressed into service for imaging from the outset.

One possible consideration would be a Skywatcher ST80 refractor (reasonably 'fast' at f5, with 400mm focal length and a decent field of view - get all of andromeda for example); not the best in the world, but capable for viewing and imaging both planetary and stellar targets. AstronomyShed, for one, has a video on youtube covering improvements to the ST80.

You can then invest more in the mount and get used to aligning, balancing and so on. 

When you decide on your preferred 1st 'real' OTA, reread the book. Then reconsider, then buy.

The ST80 can be used as a guide scope for your chosen OTA with a cheapish mono CCD (Touptec/QHY5 for example at around the £150 mark).

Hi, I have a SW 130p Goto, its not the most stable tripod/mount but with washing machine shock proof rubber pads (£3 ebay) it settles down fast. Moderately straight forward to set up & align. Great crisp images but struggles with dso targets below -4.

I did use a modded MS HD webcam to AP with great results. I have now moved onto a dslr and learning that the need for a more solid mount is very much evident. You can hook this scope to your laptop using Stellarium free planetarium software. This is actually quite reliable in locating objects.

Clear Skies ?

I can probably stretch to £2000 for a scope, mount, eyepieces etc that doesn't include the camera. I'll get one later, as long as I can get up and running with some viewing and I'll have the scope & mount ready for imaging then.

Nice budget.

There's a lot below - maybe just waffle :)

my kit list (prices at time of purchase, they are all cheaper now.)

These are not premium items, you will no doubt move there in time.

• Celestron AVX mount, 30lbs payload, £799
  • Celestron CGEM DX mount, 55lbs payload, £1799
  • Newtonian Reflector: Skywatcher 200P-DS astrograph*, 200mm(8") f5,£299
  • Coma Corrector: 0.9 Skywatcher CC
  • Refractor: Skywatcher Equinox ED80 pro, 80mm f7.3, 600mm fl, £580
  • FieldFlattener: Skywatcher (x1), £110
  • Refractor: Skywatcher StarTraveller 80, 80mm, f5, 400mm fl, £100 [used as a guide scope]
  • SCT: Celestron C8, 8" (203mm), f10, 2032mm fl, £900
  • Focal Reducer: Celestron0,63 focal reducer/field flattener
  • Canon 600D (modded with IR filter removed), Canon 700D (unmodded). For imaging both of these have same sensor.
  • QHY6 CCD, £350, used as guide camera with ST80 or Orion guidescope
  • Touptec Mono CMOS, £150
  • Orion Guidescope, 50mm, 162mm fl, £80

Others will recommend the Skywatcher EQ5/6 models. Not widely different to the Celestrons (both companies owned by Synstar I think); the HEQ5 has similar payload to the AVX. However theres a widely used application (EQMod) which allows direct PC control the Skywatcher mounts. Personally, I have yet to find a need for that yet - I manage everything I need, today, without.

Personally I like the Newtonian, good aperture, field view suitable with many of my preferred targets (M81 & 82, M27 for example). I got this to go on the AVX, but found that with the ST80 as guide scope adn the DSLR attached, it was liable to shift due to wind (gusts >20mph)

The ED80 gives nice wider field views, M31/42 fit in nicely. Many people recommend this as your goto refractor. Good images, and light weight. At f7.3, some consider a little slow for imaging, but with todays cameras and guiding, not an issue really.

SCT is great for planetary - tbh I've not used it that much. Many say not particularly good for DSOs as the image scale (arcs/pixel - how much of the sky each pixel can 'see') is relatively low.

Whether you opt for Newtonian,Refractor or SCT, you will need a correcting lens (SCTs like the EDGE HD series don't need one so much). 

• Newtonian - coma corrector
  • Refractor - field flattener
  • SCT - field flattener (often design to reduce focal length as well)

I've found the corrector prices to all be in the same £90-£110 range.

The AVX, with 8" Newtonian+coma corrector, Skywatcher ED80+field flattener, a small guide camera in the £150 (QHY 5 models also get good comments, the Toptek mono suits me just now) and a small guide scope (Orion 50mm, 162mm fl) range is just on the edge of budget. 739+299+119+549+69+169+80=£2024

This would probably cover most bases for the next few years :)

There will be many other options proposed. LOL

*similar to the 200P, also f5, 8" aperture, 1000mm focal length). However the tube is slightly shorter which brings the focal plane further out the focuser. This is very useful (necessary) for imaging.

Some says like these about astrophotography:
- AP is about the mount (spend 2/3 of your budget on a good mount). So, if I have £2000, I'll go with AZ EQ-6. At least, I won't go lower than EQ-6.
- Start with short FL for less frustration

Let's say:
- You just purchased EQ mount + DSLR
- Don't have autoguiding
- Want to have a decent image within a month

Suggestion:
- Purchase BYEOS/BYNIK
- Put a short refractor/lens on your DSLR
- Practice to get precise polar alignment as fast as you can at your backyard before move to a dark site 
Best article of Drift Alignment (too bad all of the flash files in the article are dead)

At least, this is what you can get within a month:
small_180sec_PREVIEW_20160708-00h35m14s229ms.jpg

Single frame 180sec, Canon 60D, AVX mount (unguided)
Full resolution -> https://www.dropbox.com/s/eiwr2gilgdwhmu4/180sec_PREVIEW_20160708-00h35m14s229ms.jpg

Cheers,
Ketut

If you want to get on with astro photo in the near future I'd recommend to buy the best mount you can afford. My suggestion is the NEQ6 as it's widely used by a lot of people that has achieved darn good results with it.

NEQ6 £1000
6" Newton £220

This gives you plenty of bucks to buy some accessories for.

For deep sky imaging you do need a good equatorial mount. A GoTo altazimuth is not suitable beyond a very introductory level.

Imaging and observing, especically at beginner level, really require different scopes, though a 6 inch or 8 inch Newt can do both.

Consider this: an HEQ5 Synscan https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-heq5-pro-synscan.html is £770 while an NEQ6 https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-neq6-pro-synscan.html is £999. That's a difference of £229. The cost of an 8 inch Dob https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-200p-dobsonian.html for visual observing is £285. It would cost you just £56 to buy an 8 inch Dob and HEQ5 over just an NEQ6. What are the disadvantages of the HEQ5 as compared with the NEQ6? For carrying a smallish imaging scope, none. They are equally accurate, which is what matters, and if you are imaging away from home you'll relish the portability of the HEQ5.

Personally I would rather do visual observing with a Dob than with an equatorial Newt except on the planets, where tracking is nice. I don't greatly like visual observing on a German equatorial, especially with a Newt. Not everyone feels the same, though.

So, on budget, you could have an 8 inch Dob, HEQ5 bundled with ED80 https://www.firstlightoptics.com/pro-series/skywatcher-evostar-80ed-pro-heq5-pro.html and have enough change to buy an autoguider, field flattener and even a second hand modified DSLR. What could be wrong with that?

Olly

Archived