Taurus lovelies.

Recently , observing has been through milky skies with weather systems shifting quickly at height. There hasn't been enough contrast for filling in clusters or observing galaxies. 
Time for some binaries. Early evening views of Taurus have meant sitting comfortably at the eyepiece. Taurus is stacked with binaries, a pair is one of the few visible by eye , in the Pleiades.

Σ479 shows a wide but delicate L shaped triple. RA 04h00.9m. +23 12'
Σ523 SAO 076552, dim pair at 10.2".
52 Tauri SAO 076558, ghostly speck gives light red and blue.
Σ559 shows a wonderful bright exactly even pair, really lovely.SAO 094002, just spectacular.
Σ7 and Σ401 are both caught in the field of view at x50, this is better than the double double. A really beautiful sight.SAO 075970. 
Σ430 shows a delicate and difficult amazing looking triple with two faint companions , I often wonder what a sky with three suns would look like.
SAO 11340.
Aldebaran is a binary with a wide +11.3 companion, worth spotting.

IMG_4361.JPGIMG_4363.JPGIMG_4362.JPGHappy Christmas and all the best for 2017 !
Old Nick.

• 1 month later...

Hi. I love your work but I'm having trouble with your terminology. I've been trying to find some of these on Stellarium but the search window doesn't know the numbers of your stars. Are they too dim for my version of stellarium (and thus too dim for my scope)? or am I overlooking something? I was able to follow a lot of your Orion post. Is there something more complex about Taurus? I assume they must be dim or I am. Could you shed some light?

I use sky Safari pro. You can put in SAO numbers to get stars and it'll bring up a centred chart. It's a good app. full of info. Most of my stars are on the Cambridge Double star Atlas. "Double stars for small telescopes" by Sissy Haas gives coordinates and a wealth of historical observations. In addition Eagle Creek Observatory website gives many outside of Sissy Haas.

Taurus is nicely placed for early viewing, under 

Clear skies,

Nick.

Archived