Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron Skyris 236C

1CM69

Hi all,

i need a little advice please. 

I've got a CPC925 & I've decided that I'm more than likely going to be guiding it OAG using a Lodestar x2 guide camera. 

Now im thinking about upgrading my NexImage 5 & I've been looking at the Skyris 236C. 

Is the Skyris a good match for my setup?

Thanks

After much deliberation and research I finally decided against the Skyris 236 as the small pixel size wouldn't have complemented my scope. 

I then looked at the Skyris 618 but through struggling to find many reviews on the camera I started looking elsewhere, this led me to eventually purchase a ZWO ASI174MC. 

I got it through Amazon for £389 as used but just opened/unused full warranty, so great deal. 

I did consider the MM version but to be honest it's the time element for me, perhaps at some later date when I've got more time on my hands I'll go the whole mono, filter wheel etc.... 

Hold the fort, looks like a possible scam on Amazon. 

Seller Pipity looks kosher but they list a lot of high value items as used but only for display purposes. 

They ask the buyer to contact them via email prior to purchase, I didn't do that, but I searched the email domain of computers4u.com and it doesn't look good. 

Lots of reports on the net. 

I have contacted Amazon to investigate. 

59 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

Avoid Amazon..hearing lots of scams going on..support your local telescope shop or outlet..

I thought you need the small pixel size for higher resolution..i use a 8 inch sct..works good enough on that..

OK, this has been doing my head in these last couple of days.

All the info & calculators I have found say that large pixel size is needed for long FL scopes or there is the over-sampling issue, so I spent hours trawling the net comparing cameras like for like, not that easy by the way, only to come to the realisation that over-sampling is mainly an issue with DSO imaging and star bloat.

This of course led me to be looking at the ASI174 because of the 5.86 pixels.

Now I started another thread all about this: 

but this seems like an on-going saga...

• 2 years later...

Currently I use the Skyris 618C for my planetary imaging... and I'm getting some great results when the seeing is optimal.

I noticed the 236C and even though it has smaller pixels, it captures 9 times the frame resolution... so I'm wondering if anyone knows if upgrading to the 236C would allow me to capture and tease out more detail on the same OTA, namely the 8" SCT. Or if ultimately there would be no (or diminishing) difference??