Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New SW AZ-EQ6 GT

Ken_nneth

Yesterday I unpacked my new Sky-Watcher AZ-EQ6 GT. Waiting delivery of a Starsense for Sky-Watcher. I was so used to using it with my AVX (sold both mount and Starsense) that I wanted one for the Sky-Watcher. Setting up while it's still not completely dark is really great. Does anyone know if its possible to combine the Starsense with EQMOD, probably not. Does anyone have any experience with this combination? Any way I'm like a kid on Christmas, all I want to do is play with my new toy.

SW_AZEQ6.jpg

Yeah, just play. It's a lovely mount. A few people 6-12 months ago were reporting the saddle was loose so I'd just check the three hex screws which hold it onto the mount are done up snugly. They are evenly spaced around the saddle in the same plane as the bolts to tight the saddle onto the dovetail.

james

29 minutes ago, jambouk said:

A few people 6-12 months ago were reporting the saddle was loose so I'd just check the three hex screws which hold it onto the mount are done up snugly. They are evenly spaced around the saddle in the same plane as the bolts to tight the saddle onto the dovetail.

james

Thanks for the warning, checked, they are tight. Been 

Enjoy your mount it's great.  I have one and an AVX, and it is infinitely better.

Once star sense has done it's bit and done the alignment it's effectively redundant so you could even remove it.  EQMOD can then be used afterwards to just add extra alignment stars.

36 minutes ago, Ken_nneth said:

Not sure I understand, how can I change from Starsense to EQMOD and keep the alignment?

You can't, that's what I mean by either/or.  Personally I like Starsense on my AVX, but haven't gone to it on the AZ EQ6 as the alignment routine on EQMOD is pretty good and easy to use. 

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got out with my new setup, Sky-Watcher AZ-EQ6 GT with Starsens for Sky-Watcher. I knew I only had a couple of hours before the clouds set in so I decided to do some testing. SS for Sky-Watcher is not quite the same as the one for Celestron, main difference is that the AZ-EQ6 GT does not have an internal clock so you have to set or bypass the time and date setup every time you start. Started with an auto align that placed me smack on target. Then I tried AlignMaster with little luck, could not get the mount to slew to the second star. Decide to try the new SharpCap polar alignment tool instead, had to play a bit with the camera controls but wow, 5 minutes and I was polar aligned. Did not have time to check with other methods but if the results are as good as the tool is fast this is going to be my software for polar alignment. This new setup is going to be fun when the weather lets me do some imaging.  

Archived