Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

any Baader mpcc III users?

alacant

Hi everyone. I was thinking of getting one until I saw this comparison where it comes out worst of the bunch. Especially damning was the observation that it makes stars in the centre of the frame fatter/fuzzier. If not Baader and bearing in mind the ts-quattro/GSO/Altair is also a non starter for me, what else could I consider? TIA.

On 09/12/2016 at 22:26, alacant said:

Hi everyone. I was thinking of getting one until I saw this comparison where it comes out worst of the bunch. Especially damning was the observation that it makes stars in the centre of the frame fatter/fuzzier. If not Baader and bearing in mind the ts-quattro/GSO/Altair is also a non starter for me, what else could I consider? TIA.

looks like a load of rubbish to me that image with the MPCCMKIII is not focused as shown by the doubling of the diffraction spike. So any comparison with the Sky-watcher image (which is focused) is meaningless. Dont believe everything you read on the internet.

here is my last image with the MPCC MKIII let me know if you see any spherical aberration. (Its a processing error with the stars on the right hand side, I stretched without removing a mask first and did not notice).

Autosave005V452_mono.jpg

From what I've read about the Baader, it seems that the performance depends on f-ratio. They seem ok down to f/5. Another issue may be that the working distance of cc's is possibly f-ratio or focal length dependent. Have a look here a few posts down, the best distance of the skywatcher cc depends on focal length.

http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/521493-which-coma-corrector/

This makes it non-trivial to compare.

Archived