Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Old push pull given a new lease of life

Frank the Troll

Got this old push pull OTA some time ago, wasn't really usable as is, trying to focus was a nightmare

Now tarted up a bit, and with a new dual speed focuser fitted

No makers name any where on lens or tube, so could even be home made, but if so, they did a pro job on it

It has a 125mm lens and a FL of 900mm.   Now just need a clear night to see how it performs

Mounted on a EQ5 clone (dual motors) seated on an Orion field tripod.  Its all solid as a rock

DSC00623.JPG

purple.JPG

t2.JPG

4 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

Looks very much like an early one of mine, I recognise the original focuser, if the objective is uncoated it could be one that was supplied by David Hinds.   :icon_biggrin:

Interesting, yes the lens is un-coated. it was very well made, and if the lens is from David then I expect it to do well

The tube is baffled too

Heres a couple of pics.  is this yours?

DSC00624.JPG

DSC00626.JPG

5 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

I would have made it for a third party so probably only looked through it on an optical bench to set the collimation. I often wonder where all the other telescopes I made ended up.    :icon_biggrin:

I'm impressed.  Will have to update my profile now from 125mm Frac( Home made)  to 125mm Frac (Made by Peter Drew mid 70's) ;)

Think I will try and turn the draw tube into a finder or even a guider, any ideas how?

Need a blooming clear night

3 minutes ago, Frank the Troll said:

I'm impressed.  Will have to update my profile now from 125mm Frac( Home made)  to 125mm Frac (Made by Peter Drew mid 70's) ;)

Think I will try and turn the draw tube into a finder or even a guider, any ideas how?

Need a blooming clear night

Might reduce its value!  :D

4 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

Might reduce its value!  :D

Considering for what I paid for it I doubt that very much.  £50 including P&P  Also came with a bonus, a Baader click lock hot shoe

And now its upgraded, and as you say, a David Hinds objective, I think its more than worth holding onto.  A dark clear night will tell ;)

Will compare it alongside the SW Evo 90

Archived