Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DIY Autofocuser...

John78

So I've finally completed the next 3D printed monstrosity.... an autofocuser for my 200mm F4 SMC Takumar lens...

It's currently running on my Cyclone PCB factory GRBL controller but I've got an nano/DRV8825 ASCOM focuser for it ready to go.

The question I have is, now I've built it - what software will actually autofocus it when it's using a ASI120MM camera, sharpcap has focusing aids which I can use but its not full autofocus (yet) - is there a good autofocus solution?  I don't mind bahtinov or FWHM or any other scheme of focusing but I'd like something to take the guess work out of it and be right so I know absolutely I'm at the point of best focus.  Any thoughts I'd be grateful for.

Depends whether you want to use Linux or Windows.  For Linux, KStars/Ekos/INDI with Astroberry Focuser driver and for Windows, teckkydave on here has an ASCOM version.

6 minutes ago, Gina said:

Depends whether you want to use Linux or Windows.  For Linux, KStars/Ekos/INDI with Astroberry Focuser driver and for Windows, teckkydave on here has an ASCOM version.

Yeah I have the ASCOM bit, but that doesn't actually do image analysis and adjust the focuser right?

Ok thanks, I'm familiar with Apt already I didn't try it's focusing out so I'll give it a try when this cloud and fog abates.

I assume it uses the ascom camera driver which is naff, but as long as it focuses I can then switch tools for imaging. 

Archived