Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Pleiades

Astroblagger

Hello First image on here for a while, after abit of a struggle with RegiStar finally got everything loaded up. Taken 2 nights ago with SWED80/reducer/Atik314L+, data as follows L-90 mins binned 1x1, red 18mins, blue 20 mins, green 16 mins binned 2x2. Great camera the Atik 314L+ but i think i need a larger sensor now. Welcome any constructive criticism, i learn alot from it.

30415433234_7bc25c3368_b.jpg

Love these Nebulostic Pleiades Images that scream out new star births, It looks good to me.
I Hope you'll forgive a little fiddling with your nice image though.
Did a one step noise reduction in Corel Paint v7, but may seem  a bit softer as a result.

m57.jpg

27 minutes ago, Astroblagger said:

thanks for the comments @barkis it does look smoother, but it seems hard to get rid of noise whilst keeping the image sharp. 

Processing is the key to getting the best out of your data,and It's an acquired  skill no doubt about it.
But I'm putting the cart before the horse I'm afraid. I have the same camera as you, so took a big  Interest in your Pleiades,
My camera has not had a look at the sky as yet, there is a big learning curve in front of me.
I get a bit of Ribbing from my Mod. Colleagues about the time it is taking me to get going with my Imaging, but it's all in 
good fun. The Cumbrian skies where I live have been pretty putrid for some time now.
The 314l+ has a fine reputation, and when I finally get it strapped to my MN190, I hope I can do both justice.
I wouldn't be disappointed in what you've done here, it is a great result, and you are not that far from nailing it I'm sure.
Some great processor on the forum would be only too pleased to advise you I'm sure.
Best Wishes.

26 minutes ago, Astroblagger said:

true cant speak highly enough about the 314L+ highly enough coming from a dslr, although need a bigger chip now.  although so many other CCds out there which im sure are great!

Yeah!  Big chip,  but big bucks too. :icon_biggrin:

astroblagger_m45.jpg

TGVDenoise in PixInsight with 50% mask, on Lum only. Ideally this would be done in the linear state with the high res tiff.

The more "detail" in a noisy image can be an illusion. The human eye is used to filling in the blanks and adapts to noisy images. A noisy image can therefore appear sharper than it really is.

Otoh, too much noise reduction can result in an unnatural image.

An alternative to a larger chip would be a shorter fl scope

Cheers,

Yes, there is a trial version of PixInsight: http://www.pixinsight.com It's good for 45 days. After that you will be either hooked or hate it :wink:

As for the technobabble:

tgvdenoise is a noise reduction tool in pixinsight

50% mask means that the final image is made up of equal parts original and noise reduced

Lum(inance) means that noise reduction was applied to the light information and not to the colour information. This noise reduction tool is most effective at removing small scale noise as in your image, and ideally applied before any stretching is done.

Cheers,

Archived