Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eclipse through welders mask

legion48

I couldn't get out of work today so I had the hump at missing th partial eclipse. Then, at just gone 10:00, I bumped into the site maintainance man and had a brilliant idea.

Me - "Barry, do you have a welders mask?"

Barry - "Yes, why?"

Two minutes later I was showing various people at work the tale end of the eclipse in the car park. They were all very impressed. :D

Good initiative :D

I thought that welders masks didn't provide enough filtering though? I am sure I heard that somewhere - probably wrong though (I hope!)

Me - I missed it :D I completely forgot about it, what with my new toys showing up, until I saw it on the lunchtime news - bah!

• 1 month later...

Read that you need No 14 welding glass as a minimum.

Bought a couple of sheets, about £1:50 each and it seems fine.

It was mentioned back in '99 and I have heard it since, just cannot recall where from.

I suspect that the glasss has to be suitable for arc welders not gas ones.

Just checked on a welding site. Never thought about what the range is.

Seems that No 8 is the least dark and their range goes up to No 14, where 14 is the most dark. jacksonsproducts. They have simple mineral glass and others that are more advanced.

Another site sells glass and says Standard is No 8, doesn't seem to mention any others.

As I said I suspect that you must pick one that is for an arc welder as these produce UV etc from the arc, and the arc is about 12 ins from your face/eyes. I have NO idea what a gas welder produces so please don't ask, or compare. :crybaby:

I can recall a friend cut a metal post with an arc welder on a warm day. He wore a full face mask but got a sunburn on his chest. :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3:

I can recall a friend cut a metal post with an arc welder on a warm day. He wore a full face mask but got a sunburn on his chest. :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3:

I suspect he used a plasma cutter as you don't get sunburn off a gas axe, and stick welders are rubbish at cutting. Plasma cutters are great fun, like in Aliens when they cut the door open to find Ripley- thats what they do.

Writing your name though stainless steel plate is quite cool.

I usually use a shade 10 when playing at welding with MIG, TIG or stick, though I'd probably do better looking though a brick.

Kaptain Klevtsov

Archived