SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Polemaster for planetary / deep sky? It's possible!

Jannis

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have not used the polemaster as an off axis guider, however, considering it's using a standard CS mount lens it should have the same back focus as the QHY5L-II i would guess?

If so, I'd guess the back focus is 12.5mm. Or is this different when using an off axis guider?

cs-mount-versus-c-mount.png

This is the lens type the Polemaster originally comes with:

Specifications:
Focal Length: 25mm
Angle of View: 11°
Distance of View: 70m

Image Format: 1/3", 1/4" 
Mount: CS
Aperture: F1.2

Suitable for cameras with either a 1/3" or a 1/4" sensor.

I dont think you read the entire thread... :-) 

The sensor is the same, and the lens is easily removed. I have used it even for narrowband with better success then the 5l due to no FPN removal, meaning my calibration frames actually works. its unfortunally limited to 120 sec exposures though..

• 8 months later...
On 18/03/2017 at 17:53, Jannis said:

Yes, removing the lens leaves the sensor unprotected. There is no protection glass on the Polemaster, so i'm using a simple UV/IR-block filter on my C Mount to 1.25" adapter. 

hi, do you have a link to the filter you use or one similar.  i have filters but they only have a thread on one side whereas yours has a thread on the outer part as well.  i'd like one like yours as i have an adapter to fit my 9x50 finderscope that i could thread my polemaster onto to guide with and use my qhy5l-ii colour camera to image with but i can't seem to find a filter with threads on either side

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Sorry for the late response. I'm not sure if i understand exactly what you mean. Are you talking about the inner threads in front of the 1.25" filter?
I'm trying to remember where I've bought it, but I honestly can't remember for sure. I've only ever bought two 1.25" IR/UV filters, one together with a webcam, and one from e-bay with the 1.25" adapter for the Polemaster.

Yes I am on about the inner threads so I can screw it onto my finderguider adapter and then use my QHY5L-II Colour camera for imaging. I have filters but none have inner threads like yours.

IMG_20180723_122855.jpg

IMG_20180723_123035_Bokeh.jpg

cbbella: That adapter appears to be a finderscope to C mount adapter, not a finderscope to 1.25" adapter. To use it with either the Polemaster or QHY5L, simply remove the already attached C/CS mount to 1.25" adapter (C/CS mount lens for the Polemaster) and screw camera on directly. You won't be able to use any 1.25" filters together with that adapter, but neither is it needed (you will get bloated stars without the IR filter on the finderscope, but this will not affect guiding accuracy).

iapa: Glad to hear you got it working! :)

On 14/10/2017 at 11:01, Jannis said:

I dont think you read the entire thread... ?

The sensor is the same, and the lens is easily removed. I have used it even for narrowband with better success then the 5l due to no FPN removal, meaning my calibration frames actually works. its unfortunally limited to 120 sec exposures though..

Sorry no I didn't read the whole thread..any images to show it's potential please?

Sure! These are at least some of my images so far where I've used the Polemaster only, or for Ha and/or L data.

Cygnus HaRGB. Polemaster for Ha, RGB from 550D:
Cygnus HaRGB-akam-sgl.jpg

Fireworks Galaxy LRGB - L from PM, RGB from 550D:
LRGB-v2.jpg

M63 Sunflower Galaxy LRGB - L from PM, RGB from 550D:
M63 LRGB crop-NR.jpg

M51 LRGB - L from Polemaster RGB from 550D:

M51 330x 60s - gain 30 - 60x dark - 500x flat LRGB march 2017.jpg

M13 LRGB - L from Polemaster, RGB from 550D:
LRGB v1 - 328x 1s + 1h13m RGB.jpg

Bubble Nebula LRGB - Polemaster only:
3rd Bubble LRGB November 4 2017.jpg

Eagle nebula HaRGB - Polemaster only:
Eagle HaRGB.jpg

NGC 2841 LRGB - L from Polemaster, RGB from 550D:
Tiger eye galaxy NGC 2841 LRGB-3.jpg

NGC 2903 LRGB - L from Polemaster, RGB from 550D:
NGC 2903 6x300siso800_112x60s30g16b.jpg

NGC 2403 LRGB - L from Polemaster, RGB from 550D:
NGC2403 27x300siso800_176x60s30g16b.jpg

• 1 month later...

You need a C-mount to 1.25" adapter, something like this should work: https://www.ebay.com/itm/C-Mount-to-1-25-Video-Camera-Barrel-Ring-Adapter-for-Astronomy-Telescope-CO/202366475568?hash=item2f1dfb5d30:g:QbEAAOSwCGVX5KLr

Unscrew the cover, unscrew the lens, attach the adapter and you're ready to go.
For sensor protection i also recommend a filter of some sort. UV/IR for refractors, while clear glass should be fine for reflectors.

If PHD can't connect to camera ("QHY not found"), it's probably because you use a driver that's too new. Try installing v. 1.44 and see if it detects camera. I've shared the old driver here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ilmsot3rgeg99bn/AADv7oR0W4oVmLq0NfWtENs0a?dl=0

Archived