Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter through the murk

mightymonoped

The rework of Jupiter and single moon looks excellent. :D

It may just be the scale or my screen but in the second image Jupiter appears a tad bright and lacks the definition achieved in the previous one.

Am I right in thinking that both images are cropped from a larger frame? If so,would be interested in seeing the original.

Cheers

CW

The rework of Jupiter and single moon looks excellent. :D

It may just be the scale or my screen but in the second image Jupiter appears a tad bright and lacks the definition achieved in the previous one.

Am I right in thinking that both images are cropped from a larger frame? If so,would be interested in seeing the original.

Cheers

CW

Hey CW

You are right about the brighter image...it's always a bit of a guess posting onto the forum, I find. Generally, my laptop monitor seems a little too good to be taken as what it's going to look like once posted :-) I'll try to post the re-re-worked one at some point (may just stick the finished article on my website.

Strangely enough the two images are actually full size. One captured using a TAL 3x Barlow, the other with a Televue 2X Barlow.

I used a technique I read about in Practical Astronomer...basically, I captured using QCFocus in a 352 x 288 resolution. This smaller frame size allowed me to capture at 15 fps without too much compression; I was therefore able to capture a decent number of frames in a 2 minute avi (about the maximum for a fast rotating planet like Jupiter if you want to avoid blur caused by rotation).

Tony

Archived