Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Half a "Super" Moon

hjw

The moon is usually not one of my targets, but since I can't do much else for the next two weeks and the media is full of hype about the "super moon" I thought why not. Images were taken with the SW 80ED and a 2xbarlow. 50 frames 1/160" ISO800. The full moon picture is reduced to 25% and I added two detail frames (100% crop) - the Apennine Mountains with the Archimedes crater (and somewhere in there is the Apollo 15 landing site) and the Southern Pole region. The images are not quite as sharp as I would like and I blame the cheap barlow :( .

half super moon 25%.jpg

Apennine Mountains 100%crop.jpgSouth pole 100% crop.jpg

Thanks for your patience with this lunar novice and clear skies!

HJ

7 hours ago, xtreemchaos said:

great shots mate, i use the same kit as you, our ed80s sure do shoot the moon well. what camera did you use ?, i use a 1200d.  well done.  thanks ,  charl.

Thanks Charles, the 80ED are nice all-rounders even though I've been thinking about a 8" f/5 lately to have a better go at galaxies... I am using the Pentax K30 for imaging.

7 hours ago, Debo said:

Very nice images HJW.

I'm interested to know, are the 50 sub images jpegs and what stacking software do you use?

Cheers

Thanks Den, I shoot in raw but to make Registax 6 work for me I have to transfer the images in JPGs. The raw format or TIFs don't align proper in Registax for me.

Cheers

HJ

16 hours ago, hjw said:

8" f/5 lately to have a better go at galaxies

the ed80 works well with galaxys aswell, the 8 inch will give you brighter images but your FOV will be much reduced but you can allways do mosaics and im a sucker for spikey stars. charl.

9 hours ago, xtreemchaos said:

the ed80 works well with galaxys aswell, the 8 inch will give you brighter images but your FOV will be much reduced but you can allways do mosaics and im a sucker for spikey stars. charl.

Many galaxies are smaller than 20 arcmin hence the smaller FOV will be beneficial - main reason I want to go for a f/5 rather than the f/4 version. And still I will get about twice as much light in. Only problem, I'm not sure whether the HEQ5 can handle it. Will have to ask some serious questions when the time comes.

Cheers

HJ

Archived