NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Telescope Shops

Charic

Telescope shops, where are they all?
Apart from Jessops and the odd camera shop, I'm not seeing any dedicated  Astronomy shops in Scotland holding a range of telescopes, and why I`m not sure, we have some of the darkest skies here!

I'm visiting Glasgow and my Internet search  is not returning anything special.
Before my interest started in earnest, I do recall a dedicated shop in the small town of Fochabers, but that's  long gone now.
It would be nice to get a closer view,  hands on,  when potentially buying new equipment. 

Black and Lizars in Buchanan St in Glasgow used to be a Meade dealer. Now this was some time ago so not sure if they are even there now never mind if they are still an astro dealer.  It's been a long tome now since I last visited Glasgow.

Jim

23 minutes ago, Charic said:

cheers saac.
I  may even try some of the charity shops, eyepieces, binoculars maybe?

Aw, now. You've hit a sore spot.

Some months back a friend of my wife told her that there was a scope for sale in a Banchory charity shop. It turned out to be a Vixen 4" refractor, on a GEM, priced at £300 for the lot (including a cracked eyepiece as a dust plug). Old and in need of some care but very attractive. Took my dog for a walk to think about it and returned, planning to buy, only to find it gone. Sold for £250!

Hope whoever bought it is enjoying the scope.

Carpe diem, Chas, carpe diem!

I will?

Some time ago, on a  trip to Shopshire, some Carl Zeiss bins in hand had a cracked  right eyepiece, so left them and recently a Zenith 10x50, with a small amount of fungus inside the left objective, on my return to purchase, sold! ( Zenith /  Zenit,  My first ever 35mm format camera, the TTL? )
There is an old Church nearby that has so much stuff, even the owner is unaware of whats in there? so maybe a  look ( with torch! ) this week whilst passing.

23 minutes ago, barkis said:

I bought my first Mirror making kit from a Charles Frank shop in Ingram Street Glasgow, but many many Moons ago.
They now trade at 101 Rose Street Edinburgh, so not much use to you now.

It's Viking Optical now.

Seems to be aimed at bird fanciers

1 hour ago, barkis said:

Won't be much good for Charic unfortunately.

........I have telephoned Viking, and although they could order me a 300P it would be on special order from their supplier, due to the size  and nature of their present setup. Apparently though, we use the same supplier, so it seems pointless to have it delivered some 4 hours drive away, when I could get one to the door, but my mission is to touch,see and feel first before I decide any further. I was  really hoping to test a 300P aside my own scope, same conditions, and if it betters  by some margin then the 300P may get ordered?

If its anything to go on,  by way of comparing eyepieces, then  if  there's  little or no improvement, the 200P could remain forever. I've no issue with the 200P from a darker site, the scope is simply stunning, it's just the time and effort required.

Oh! and now  my Mrs is now asking questions! after hearing me on the phone, its  now obvious to her were not on a special shopping trip for her delight, its for mine :evil6:

I am afraid the have all gone to the wall. Black and Lizards had a good selection of Astro scopes, but when the store moved from Union street they discontinued. Viking optics do carry a few scopes, but not enough to be worth a visit.

I saw one telescope in passing, it may have been a Heritage? in  a window display next to Buchanan Galleries, Sauchiehall Street ( I would take look on the way out?)   but the fire/security alarm and  subsequent evacuation from BG's  put me the wrong side of the building to take  the second look? but did not come home empty handed from my short trip away?

Not a 300mm insight, but something called a 'MiniNova' (Novation) caught my attention!
I won't see any Stars with it,  though maybe I could  become a Star with it?   but for now, just another one for the rack?

Archived