Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eclipse of the Sun 1st August 2008

Adrian Condon

Hi folks,

Just reminding you that there is a partial elipse of the Sun from the UK on Friday 1st August 2008.

It starts in the London area at 09:33am and mid point is 10:18am and finishes at 11:04am. Only 11.9% of the Sun's area will be covered, so it will not go dark. The times start earlier as you go North and finish slightly later.

So hope it is not cloudy in your part of the UK and that you have the time to view safely.

So no looking at the Sun for a second or two without a solar filter. It is very dangerous to use or attempt to use old black and white negatives, as they appear to cut down the light but do nothing for the radiation. Blindness (or sight damage) is a real possibility. Use a proper solar filter like Baadar Mylar cost about £15 for a sheet 10" x 8" from a reputable source. Check it for any little holes before attaching it to the front of the scope. When safely attached use rubber bands, more than one to secure it. ( Insurance, if one breaks hopefully the others won't!!).

I find that the straps you can buy at Outdoor shops for attaching things to rusacs are very good at securing the filter.

Reminder never to look directly at the Sun.

Apart from from that have fun viewing and imaging this small elipse!!!

Cheers

Adrian

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I think we are in the wrong place for this one!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This one's track extends North Canada through Greenland, Novaya Zemlya, Siberia and into China. It will last on the centre line for 2 minutes 27.2 seconds of Totality.

The last Total elipse was 29th March 2006 lasted for 4 minutes 6.7 seconds, which I saw from Side in Turkey...awesome.....

More importantly the next Totality will be 22 July 2009 and it will last for 6 minute 38.9 seconds at maxinum phase and will cross East China and the Pacific, passing not far to the south of Japan. It will not be visual from the UK.

So its time to start saving those pennies for a trip to China.

Cheers

Adrian

Hi,

That snow :santa: in Glasgow will cool down your scope!!!

Looking at the weather forecast for the Watford area, its showers and sunshine.

Guess which will be happening between 09:30 am and 11:00 am!!clouds2.gif

Hope the clouds stead away.

Cheers

Adrian

Hi Martyn,

Kings Langley was useless. Clouds...Clouds and now rain...

I too got odd views, the top lefthand side of the Sun went missing at around 10:10am.

No images collected, except the shot of rain clouds.

The images I took in Side two years ago have the moon chopping off the bottom righthand side of the Sun to start with and of course finally fully elipsing it.

Anyway, the lesson from today is that you cannot trust the British weather.

Cheers

Adrian

I managed the occasional quick look until just before 4th contact and the clear patches started missing the sun and it started to drizzle.

We have to get busy mow and start negotiate a few patches of clear sky for the ensuing Lunar eclipse :D

--

Martyn

Hi Martyn,

You would not believe it.

The Sun is shining brilliantly now, 11:10am no clouds near it, there must be an evil spell on Kings Langley. I am fuming!! icon_mad.gif

Why couldn't it have been like this an hour ago.

I will have to save up to go to China for the Total Elipse next year. Anybody generous enough to sponsor me?????

Anyway, there will be other times.

I agree with you about arranging better viewing conditions for the lunar elipse, start praying now!!

Cheers

Adrian

Tiny,

Thanks, you seemed to have got a better view than I did. My views were for a second or even two when the cloud thinned slightly. Not quick enough to get the scope on the Sun.

A neighbour told me that somebody on the Shetlands had a good view?

Cheers

Adrian

Very suprised getting clear skies at the right time here in SW Scotland as it rain through the night and early morning, but cleared by 9.00am.

Nice views from first contact at 9.25am until 10.50am when it clouded over and has remained so.

Mike

Mike,

I have spent many holidays in Dumfries and Galloway, a fair number of good days, but some very very wet ones as well.

A mate of mine, lives near Kendal, and he has taken a number of images today, and the BBC may be using them on the News bulletin to-night for your area. I have just got off the phone to him. I am trying to get copies from him. I will see if he will allow us to use them on SGL. Apparently, it clouded over a bit after 10:30am in the Kendal area.

Anyway, glad you had a good view.

Cheers

Adrian

In the 1999 total eclipse we were on an eclipse camp site in Cornwall near Newquay. Of course it was cloudy though we saw the shadow (fantastic) and a lot of confused birds that headed home then out again as it got dark then bright. The eclipse most of us watched on TV.

One bod and family was not interested in the eclipse - they drove off before it and returned after. It turned out that they had only gone 3 miles by road when they saw a nice picnic spot so they stayed there all day. And over them was a little patch of clear sky so they (uninterested) saw the lot!

The rest of us only found out when, having returned, Mr uninterested wandered past the communal TV (now showing a repeat of the eclipse) and, stopped, saying how they had seen that and them bits round the edge and the funny light and so on. All us lot decided there ain't no justice - the more so as other far flung groups returned from land and miles out to sea to report no sign of the eclipse.

Mr picnic said there were a couple there with them on the patch of grass by the road, watching the show but that was it. We got the map out and worked out he was actually 2 and a bit miles away from our clouded in site - such is life.

When I drove to work at 6.45am in brilliant sunshine I had high hopes for the morning ahead. By 8.30 we had 100% cloud cover and I had resigned myself to dissapointment.

Then 10.10am comes and I spot rays of sunshine outside the office, so I rush to the car park and set up my new PST. Peering through it for the first time, I had an awesome view of the eclipse. By 10.28 the cloud had returned until lunchtime, but I am one happy chappy 8)

I took two dodgy phone cam pics through the PST but they didnt come out well at all. Short but sweet, I am amazed I caught the best time window to see the show.

Sorry to hear from those of you that missed it.

Andy

I took two dodgy phone cam pics through the PST but they didnt come out well at all. Short but sweet, I am amazed I caught the best time window to see the show.

Nice to have something to remind you of the event though 8) Going to post them?

Archived