Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best way to get flats

iwols

13 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

Hi Chris

I don't think the colour balance or temperature of the panel should matter for flats - out of curiosity, how long is 'long' for your EL panel?

Louise

Well it does (even with mono) when you need 90 seconds per exposure to get the needed ADU - and you want 50 of them. Then you want the same with several 'red' filters, then you want the same with the reducer in the optical train. Tends to take all day. The 'Blue' filters on the other hand are taking 0.03 sec - not so much a problem because you can just put a piece of paper in front, but that then means you can't just set a sequence of flats running in SGP and leave it to its own devices. Also, if using a OSC camera then the histogram is all over the place - practically the opposite of what you get with real images on the night sky (i.e., blue shifted well to the right on the flats), so they don't work very well for that.

ChrisH

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, ChrisLX200 said:

Well it does (even with mono) when you need 90 seconds per exposure to get the needed ADU - and you want 50 of them. Then you want the same with several 'red' filters, then you want the same with the reducer in the optical train. Tends to take all day. The 'Blue' filters on the other hand are taking 0.03 sec - not so much a problem because you can just put a piece of paper in front, but that then means you can't just set a sequence of flats running in SGP and leave it to its own devices. Also, if using a OSC camera then the histogram is all over the place - practically the opposite of what you get with real images on the night sky (i.e., blue shifted well to the right on the flats), so they don't work very well for that.

ChrisH

Oh dear, 90s - that's not good!

Hi again

I should maybe mention that before I bought the led panel I used to just use my laptop screen. In some ways that was better in some respects - but less convenient. BTW, my master flats are greyscale, even for an osc.

If you're going to use it with astro filters, it might pay to check the spectrum of a particular light panel before you purchase it...

Louise

On 26/10/2016 at 16:17, Davey-T said:

According to the font of all knowledge Mr O.Penrose esq, there's no need for separate RGB flats, at least I think that's what he said :grin:

Dave

How does that work when each filter has its own unique set of dust bunnies?

ChrisH

Archived