Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NEW LAPTOP AND SYNSCAN

Recently bought a new laptop and found that if I  placed it too near the Synscan Handset it caused the handset to misbehave. Noticeably the declination button did not send a signal to the motor ?. Removed the laptop and all aspects of Synscan worked fine. For imaging I centre my object in the scope first and track,I then bring in the laptop,switch on, and go through the imaging process. I don't touch the Synscan whilst imaging. After completion, switch off the laptop and take it away from the scope and then find I can use the Synscan  normally. It can't happen but it does. Anyone experienced similar problems..?.............Dave

From reading this it appears the laptop is not connected to the handset physically, as in Laptop->Handset->Scope.

The option that remains would seem to be therefore a WiFi signal from the laptop that is interferring with the handset electronics. Unfortunately the way that Synta appear to build their electronics I could easily belief that they are prone to interference. They seem to be not the highest quality or components.

If you have a tablet try putting that near the handset and see if the same occurs, not sure a mobile would do the same, but a tablet should be the same (similar) WiFi however it may not have the signal strength of the laptop.

If it is the WiFi then it starts to offer up the possibility of major problems for people as WiFi is common on laptops now and they are often used in AP or even straight scope control.

Thanks Ronin for the info, I think you are right on this one. The laptop I used before this one was an old Dell running XP OS with no Wi-Fi and there were no problems with it.Sadly like all old machines it met it's demise hence the replacement. Not a lot can be done to solve the problem unless you have any ideas....Dave

I've not seen this problem I'm the local astronomy club while members use their laptops. Sometimes if the laptop is low quality it produces too much microwaves if I'm not wrong. Hold your phone next to the laptop and check if there is any effect. 

Archived