ToUcam RAW Mod

daz

Well, I've now uploaded the RAW mod to the cam. Took a backup of the current config before doing so, and everything appears to have gone OK.

All I need now is a clear moonless night to test it on.

Ah. :lol:

Raw is just the raw data from the chip totally unprocessed, where it normally converts to either jpg etc, the final process if left to the individual to do , finding this out with the new ccd imager lol , seems strange looking at mainly pixels where i,m only doing short exposures , i have heard alot about web cam Raws , cant comment alot if its any better or what .

Rog

And I said all that without moving my finger!!!

Yes it's a firmware upgrade. There are different macros for the chips depending on if you have a colour cam or not. See here

Mine has been modded for a B&W chip as well, so I just uploaded that particular macro. There are settings to fiddle with the de-bayering as well for the colour cams.

And you can save the original settings before you do anything so you can always revert back if needed!

Of course, the weather now shows 2 weeks of solid poop! :lol::(:p

I can only say 'Give it a go'! As before you can save the settings so if it is not as you would want, you can revert back.

Incidentally, the RAW mode on the b&w chip will give 3x sensitivity on the chip (russ :lol: ) at 640 x 480. This is because the processor is doing a straight forward averaging algorithm on the mosaic. For a colour chip, it has to work out where in the bayer filter the pixel falls, and apply a calculation for colour, and there are different rules for different colours. Also, at 640x480 in colour RAW, the increase in sensitivity is only 1.3 times. This is where the overhead for colour chip comes in.

Incidentally Part 2, the chip mosaic is the same for the colour version as the b&w. The b&w goes into high-end CCD cams, and the colours into the web cams, a la ToUCam. It's the bayer filter and processing overhead that is the difference.

At least, that's how I understand it all to be :?

James - As far as I can make out, I can still use K3 to capture and Registax to process, but I'll let you know.

Gaz - Coxy replaced the chip and added the cooling fan for me, which was £75 from the SC1 (LX) mod.

So, all I need to do now is record 4 sets of AVI's, one for luminance, and then using RGB filters and combine in PS! Easy!!! :?

• 2 months later...

Cool, thanks for the reply, at least that's something else that I don't need to do.

Captain Chaos

Umm, well that's not *strictly* true. Did I not tell you how to activate the mod? :oops:

OK, because the RAW mod alters the factory settings directly in the EEPROM, to make sure this mod is active click on the Factory Settings button in the Video Source dialogue.

Arthur

PS - I'm *sure* I told you that...

Cool, thanks for the reply, at least that's something else that I don't need to do.

Captain Chaos

Umm, well that's not *strictly* true. Did I not tell you how to activate the mod? :oops:

OK, because the RAW mod alters the factory settings directly in the EEPROM, to make sure this mod is active click on the Factory Settings button in the Video Source dialogue.

Arthur

PS - I'm *sure* I told you that...

I'm sure that you did, I tend not to RTFM as I don't own a bra. It still kinda works B4RTFM so maybe it will get even better?

I'll check this out tomorrow as it's supposed to get clear on Wednesday (yeah, right).

Captain Chaos

Archived