Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

narrowband filters

bruno

You can use NB filters with any telescope (within reason ... ie: for high speed telescopes you need a specailist filter).

I use them with my 71mm f5 frac and they work just fine :)

A more important question might be - "can I use NB filters with my camera?". Which in your case (DSLR), is still a "yes".... though its nowhere near as efficient as using a mono camrea.

2 hours ago, bruno said:

thanks for your quick response, iwas going to get a mono camera but i was told you needed a scope of 8" & upwards 

No prob mate :)

But I think you may have been mis-informed, there is no lower size telescope barrier to a mono CCD - the only thing that matters is the sampling rate (resolution measured in arc seconds per pixel) which is derived from the pixel size of the camera and focal length of the telescope used. A useful middle ground is a camera with a pixel size of about 5microns, thats good for focal lengths of about 350mm all the way up to 1200mm.

This online calculator (although old) is pretty good for determining what camera is a good match for your telescope:

http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fov.htm

Archived