NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Clear sky after the rain

Piero

After the shower, this evening the sky was quite clear despite the shining Moon. I decided to use my 9mm and 5mm Vixens all evening and focus on some target in Per, Cas, and Cam.

Despite the low visual mag for NGC1501, I could spot this planetary nebula with my OIII filter at 40x. Interestingly, looking back in my notes, I tried to spot this target last year at 15x, 28x + OIII filter, but I failed. It was on the 6th Sep '15 at the same time but in another location with more light pollution. The Moon was not out yet. I guess the combination of low magnification and brighter sky were the reasons why I could not see it.. :dontknow: 

Anyway below is my short report. Thanks for reading, 

PIero

Date 10/10/2016
Time 21:10-22:20
Lunar Phase Waxing Gibbous 66%
Temperature 6C (NNE 5 km/h)
Seeing 3 - Moderate seeing
Transparency 5 - Clear
Darkness 19.4

M76 Per Pln Neb 40x, 72x +/- UHC
Little Dumbbell. Visible with AV without filter and with DV with filter. It looked like an irregular cloud.

NGC663 Cas Opn CL 40x, 72x
Nice medium size open cluster. I always wonder whether Messier confused M103 with this cluster. It shows about 20 stars.

NGC654 Cas Opn CL 40x, 72x
Smaller than NGC663. 5-8 faint stars.

NGC659 Cas Opn CL 40x, 72x
Smaller than NGC663. 5-6 faint stars.

M103 Cas Opn CL 40x, 72x
8-9 faint stars were detectable.

NGC1502 Cam Opn CL 40x
Lovely open cluster at the bottom of the Cam star chain. Star hopping from CS/CE Cam stars, through the false double star HIP 17342. The latter is a 5.7mag orange with a close 8.40mag blue/grey star. NGC1502 showed about 10-15 stars. The box inside might have more at larger apertures.

NGC1501 Cam Pln Neb 40x +/- OIII
I tried this in the past unsuccessfully. It is described as a 13 visual magnitude target (SB:12.42), beyond the limit of this telescope. At 40x without filter it was completely invisible. With OIII filter a faint filled little circle typical for planetary nebulae at low power was detectable with DV. I repeated the path 4 times from NGC1502: HIP19139, UV Cam, HIP19222, so the jump to HIP19314 and the planetary nebula is slightly at the east. Not sure why it is reported as dark as a 13 mag target. It was definitely there.

Nice report, Piero - and great catch on NGC 1501 - that's a real achievement.  Over here the early evening was rather misty after the heavy rain - you could almost feel the dew coalescing on your skin when you went outside!  But I just popped out this morning at about 5.30 and the sky was amazingly dark, transparent and still - Sirius sat absolutely steady down in the south.  Wish I had time to get the scope out, but had to make do with a 5 minute stand in the garden!

Thanks Paul. :) It seems there are local climate differences between our observing places. Interesting! When I was out already a good part of my garden was dry and surely there was no mist around. Of course i wouldn't say that the sky was perfectly steady: the Moon showed a very slight wobble already at 72x. Said this there was no dew on my equipment or clothes after coming in. 

Nice one Piero, and that really is a cracking effort on NGC 1501. I've had mixed success on that one with a 10 inch! I like your new avatar image by the way. I caught NGC 604 as a bright fuzzy star in the 4" recently (from a very dark site admittedly) and this experience plus your image got me wondering if you'd hooked it?

@mdstuart Thanks Mark! Really interesting link! I just saved it in my astro docs. :) 

@Size9Hex Thanks Paul! The shower in the late afternoon might likely have helped clear the sky! No, I haven't spotted NGC 604. My suspect is that my only chance with it is under +20.5 mag skies. If it will be clear in a weekend when the Moon is not out, I will cycle to the countryside and try more seriously. :icon_salut:

Archived