Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Could do with some advice. Maybe Astrobaby can assist here? Saw a strip down on your website. The telescope mount that is.

My son's been swinging on the polar shaft of my Tal 1 which I just bought yesterday. The lattitude adjustment joint now has play on it and it does not lock properly. Can imagine the tube slowly sliding one way or another if the weight is not balanced properly. The friction on the clamp lever is not firm now ubless  O tighten really hard. Fortunately it was not a brand new scope but still, it hurts to see it this way so soon. Any ideas how to get a more firm and easy lock on it?

Also hunting for a motor drive for it if anyone knows where.

There is no 'add on' motor kit for the Tal-1 mount(MT-1), unless you get very creative. I have seen one super home-brew motorisation done. A lovely job.

A motorised version was available and offered for sale with this newt, called the Tal-1M(mount called the MT-1C),. This was a much heavier duty mount, offered with either the pedestal or tripod.

28 minutes ago, AndyH said:

Has the thread stripped on either the lock lever or on the thru bolt, as it should tighten up firmly ? 

Only other thing I can think of - opposite side of lock lever, there should be a lock nut that stops the threaded bolt from turning. Is it missing?

Andy

Edit: Unless yours is the very old mount like in Astro_Baby's pics. I have two, alate 90's and early '00'sversion, with the flattened side locknut. Not 100% sure what the old small bolt is for. Does it push through and lock the latitude in place?

11 minutes ago, AndyH said:

There is no 'add on' motor kit for the Tal-1 mount(MT-1), unless you get very creative. I have seen one super home-brew motorisation done. A lovely job.

A motorised version was available and offered for sale with this newt, called the Tal-1M(mount called the MT-1C),. This was a much heavier duty mount, offered with either the pedestal or tripod.

A biit off topic, but some nice pics of this heavier MT-1C mount on the Astro-Talks forum here ..... http://astro-talks.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2196

Archived