Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What is it I have imaged?

Had a clear dark night Monday so decided to take my first DSO image and chose M31. Polar aligned and two star alignment and used the GOTO function to get me on target. Through the Telrad it looked like I was bang on target. Unfortunately I could not look through the camera as it was at a difficult angle, M31 being rather high. Forgot to put on the camera angle viewer so carefully put it on. Doh! Had so much to think about being my first time forgot about how delicate the system can be and knocked it a tad off target. Still couldn't see anything anyway and as there was a lot of dew building up decided to press on, being unaware at this time I was off target. I took 20 x 90 sec subs at ISO 800 and 5 x darks. This is the result. Not sure what I have but would guess M32 at the top and a patch of M31 in the bottom right hand corner. Lesson learned. I will have to figure out, in daylight today probably, why I couldn't get the Live View to work. I am sure there is a post about this somewhere so will look it up, Anyway, I have made a start, things can only get better.

image.tiff

Thanks guys hadn't thought about M110, good call. I am frustrated  that I moved it off  target but on the other hand delighted that I actually managed to get an image! As I said, today I will make sure I get Live View figured out because if that had worked this mistake would never have happened.

25 minutes ago, Moonshed said:

Thanks guys hadn't thought about M110, good call. I am frustrated  that I moved it off  target but on the other hand delighted that I actually managed to get an image! As I said, today I will make sure I get Live View figured out because if that had worked this mistake would never have happened.

Don't see it as a mistake.  For a first image the detail is good, but more importantly it's a good tick in the Messier capture list :thumbright:

4 hours ago, RayD said:

Don't see it as a mistake.  For a first image the detail is good, but more importantly it's a good tick in the Messier capture list :thumbright:

Yes that's true. I have many of them ticked off by telescope observing but never by astrophotography. I have got the Live View working now so will not be making that mistake again, but it is by making mistakes that we learn and become  better, hopefully.

It may just be my phone when viewing the image - but it looks you have some vignetting in the image. 

Did you take any flats? These would help the Vignetting and allow deeper processing. 

Great first image, stars look good. Your in for a treat when your on target! 

2 hours ago, Ant said:

It may just be my phone when viewing the image - but it looks you have some vignetting in the image. 

Did you take any flats? These would help the Vignetting and allow deeper processing. 

Hi, it's not just your phone I too can see vignetting and I have not taken any flats, I will have a go at making some flats tomorrow . I  saw a piece on Youtube showing how to do it on a bright day using a plain white T shirt stretched over the front of the Scope, I think I got that right. I wasn't aware that would help and thought I had to buy a comma correcter to correct those tear drop stars. I take it that is what you are referring to?

3 hours ago, Ant said:

Sorry, I made a mistake mixing up vignetting with comma. Yes there is some vignetting present which I will attempt to process out. I am more concerned with the comma  showing tear shaped stars near the image edges. I think that will require a comma correcter lens.

Personally, for the time being, I'd love with the Coma. 

Get it sorted in time, you can fix the vugnettibg fir free.

i used a white T shirt for a long time before buying the EL panel. Remember to not remove the camera from the scope or change focus between lights and flats. 

Bias and darks can be done anytime, just also remember that the darks should be at the same temp as the lights (give it take).

ant

Archived