NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Finder Scope

Hi All. Some advice of right angle finder scope.

I have on my evolution 8 the standard red dot finder that came with it. In one way I like the way it works and no doubt I use it the same way most do. My way is 2 eyes open, left eye on the target star and right eye on the red dot and bring them together. Do not like most the fact you are mostly on your knees to do star align. The other thing I do not like is it is temperamental to work. How many times I have turned the knob for initially aligning red dot up rather than the on/off knob I cannot remember.

So I got to either get a better quality red dot finder or look at the 9x 50 right angled finders. Most who have them are very pleased but since I have never seen one I need to ask a question. If you are looking down the finder you are facing the tube not looking along the tube. If that is true then you have to keep on looking up to make sure the alignment star is getting close and my method of keeping one eye on red dot & one eye on star cannot be done.

I may be entirely wrong about how it works so hopefully someone will put me right. It does seem most basic red dot finders are about the same and cost the same except if you go up to the baader sky surfer v.

I certainly will be getting rid of the default red dot finder.

You have to use both the red dot finder and RA finder as it is near impossible to find things otherwise. Most people plumb for either a telrad or rigel finder to find the vicinity then move over to the RA optical finder to centre. Personally I couldn't get on with a RA finder and soon sold it in favour of a straight through despite having a telrad to initially align the scope. Some master it and others don't so you really have to give it a try first.

On my C8 I use a Rigel Quikfinder (red dot) to put the scope onto a naked eye star. To do that, I often need to kneel down onto the ground, as I installed the Rigel quite far to the back of the scope. Also on the back, mounted into the screw holes that the C8 has, I have a 50mm RACI finder where I can put in an eyepiece. This i mounted quite high, so to looking into it sometimes requires to stand straight up. If the scope is pointed towards high in the sky, I can sit down while looking into the finder.

I first use the Rigel. Then the RACI og then double check once in a while through the Rigel whether I'm still in the right area. This works reasonably well, but the going down on my knees keeps being a pain the ... knees. 

I've never got along with rightangled finders as they are counter intuitive. Looking along the line of sight is necessary so why not simply go for a direct vision finder? using both eyes its easy to aim the telescope quickly and accurately.

Mike 

Thank for all your input. Going by your comments I will give the right angle finder a miss. One day I may be able to view through one so then can have a more better understanding. Will look at the other options you mentioned.

Thank you

I use a RACI and find it essential. I used to have a straight through finder but the awkward positions you sometimes have to get into to use it makes it useless. With a RACI I get a comfortable eye position.

I don't see the point of red dot finders. They are pointers not finders and I can point the scope well enough without :)

In my quest for better finding I have come to the following personal conclusions:

- You always need two finders.  One x zero magnfication (big red dot, telrad or rigel) to get you in the right area, and one low magnification finder between 50 and 80mm aperture so you can see at least some of the fainter objects.

- For fracs, I find a right angle finder NOT correct image is easiest). This is because moving the rig will generate the same left-right, up-down movement in the right angle finder as it does in the frac.  A RACI would produce opposite left-right movement to the frac, which is confusing.

- For dobs, I find a RACI is most useful.   Similarly, this is because moving the rig will generate the same left-right, up-down movement in the RACI finder as it does in the dob.

- Don't give up on red dots.  The Baader Sky Surfer V is far far easier to use than any other red dot I have seen.  It stays perfectly adjusted between uses even when removing the RDF between sessions.  It was the additional advantage of not suffering from dew issues (it has long dew shields and removable transparent lens caps).  Telrads are very popular but dew up easily so need a dew solution such as a heater.  I prefer to keep set up times low but avoiding all use of powered equipment where possible.

Archived