Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

365 Series Covers and Condensation

I got myself a Telegizmo 365 Scope Cover to enable to me to worry less about the weather with my Edge 8 HD. It certainly works and has kept the scope nice and dry throughout some typically Cumbrian weather. However, last night it was showery and between the showers quite cool and this morning the inside of the cover, and the scope itself, were covered in condensation. Does this matter? Would trying to close up the base of the cover help reduce that?  

I don't keep the scope out all the time by any means, but if there's a chance of clear spells I do like to have it sitting there ready for me. 

Good advice about good ventilation. I cover my mount with a waterproof canvas bag, and then a 32 gallon trash bin over that (Yes, real Hi-Tech :icon_biggrin:). But the bottom of both is wide open for ventilation. I do live in an otherwise desert area. But I like having my mount set up so I can get to imaging faster. Its much more convenient.

About the condensation though.... What you see is alarming, what you may not see but need to be aware of is that it can and will infiltrate to the inner workings of telescope and mount. Particularly harmful would be to the electronics, drive motors, and gearing.

So in a damper climate, and especially if there are molds and spores present, I would try and keep the equipment as dry as possible.

Archived