Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First ever Andromeda

This is my first ever attempt at Andromeda using a skywatcher Star Adventurer, Canon 700D and Canon 300mm f/4 @ f/5.

A quick polar alignment not using the polar scope, only a compass and an on phone spirit level.

Unfortunately, I only managed 5 light frames, 4x 30 secs and 1x 1 min before my batteries died and no calibration frames.

I live next to a main road so there is quite a lot of light pollution from headlights and this was directly over someones house.

Looking forward to giving it another go, especially if Surrey going a head and switch lights off after midnight.

29780682412_31121b4527_c.jpg

My first Andromeda by Anthony Hobbs, on Flickr

Hi Anthony, that's a good start for so little exposure, but the dust lanes are visible. Just think would you would get with 20 or more times the exposure! I've also found from experience that it's easy to take batteries for granted, but I've learned to put a fresh battery in at the start of the session, check the level periodically and replace in good time! I also turn off the LCD when I'm not needing it in order to save the juice.

Ian

That's a good start!

If you're imaging from home, you should consider a power supply for you canon. It may not improve your images, but it will ease your mind. An alternative is to make an adaptor and power from a 12 V battery.

Cheers.

It was a last minute decision so no batteries were charged.

Looking clear for tonight, all batteries charged and ready to give the star Adventurer again in my new, more stable Gitzo tripod.

Archived